Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FD lens on the NEX aperture - no, not that one again!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: FD lens on the NEX aperture - no, not that one again! Reply with quote

So I got myself a great FD 500/4.5L to try it on the NEX. Fantastic lens wide open, and wide open is all I get.

Mind you I use an FDn lens (with the locking ring, right?) on the same adapter with no problem stopping down, but this one doesn't.

It does stop down if I connect it to a TC and then to the adapter.

So what's up with that? Any ideas? Suggestions will be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

I use the Fotodiox adapter.
There are two twists:
The first is the lens itself, turn to click in place, for FDn lenses.
Then the adapter has a ring that can turn to lock older FD/FL lenses.
Aperture cannot adjust until the ring on the adapter turn firmly.

Hey, congrats on the 500mm. What a catch!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hoan!

I tried that and will try again!

I have a Pixco one and trying to take a pic of tonight's beautiful moon I have discovered that it doesn't focus to infinity Sad

Should get the Fotodiox I think!

PS And yes, it's a fantastic lens - and costs half of the Pentax equivalent (if there was one). This was the first shot I took with it - the great view out of my office window:

and 100% crop:

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon FD 500/4.5L? Half of Pentax?

Are you sure? Smile Shocked

Hmm - - Can I see the lens ? Wink

This one has 1 fluorite and 1 UD element.

It's basically APO lens despite the fact that Canon never used 'APO' on FD glasses.

That glass surely rocks.

thanks

tf

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results!

A long Canon with no CA, I'm amazed! Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:
Canon FD 500/4.5L? Half of Pentax?

Are you sure? Smile Shocked

tf

Have you seen what Pentax A* 600/5.6 goes for? One in poor condition just went for $3000. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&afsrc=1&hash=item3cc54fea55&item=261008386645 Last A*300/2.8 I saw sold for about 2K. This FD 500/4.5L at under 2K is a bargain for what it can deliver which so far is as good as anything I've seen.

Quote:

Hmm - - Can I see the lens ? Wink

This one has 1 fluorite and 1 UD element.

It's basically APO lens despite the fact that Canon never used 'APO' on FD glasses.

That glass surely rocks.

thanks

It's a beauty allright and not too heavy either. Once I figure out how to activate the aperture (maybe another adapter will be needed) I will be sure to take it for a test drive to the wetlands!

Last edited by DanielT74 on Wed May 09, 2012 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little known secret, on many FD's the aperture tab has a hold position, just push the lever like the camera does, you'll reach the end, but here's the cool part, push a little further and it locks into that position and you never have to mess with the aperture ring on the adapter again.

Re: infinity, does backing off infinity get you to infinity? my Fotodiox adapter was a touch thin and therefor focused past infinity.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lightshow - I will try this.

And unfortunately no - it doesn't focus past infinity, but I am pretty sure this is the issue with the adapter. Just short of infinity it seems. The moon was nearly in focus but not quite, so I dug out my Pentax 67 M*400/4, which does not excel at infinity focus. I suspect the FD 500/4.5 will do better!

PS Apologies to the northern hemisphere people that the moon is "upside down". As the flat-earthers will tell you, it's badly behaved and flips every time anyone from here looks at it.