Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast, short focal distance, large area lens with short regis
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Obviously it is not a toy to be improvised with some cheap lenses in a few hours.

The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thanks, nice phrase!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile wrote:
Quote:
Obviously it is not a toy to be improvised with some cheap lenses in a few hours.

The person who says something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

Yes, keep trying, buddies! Laugh 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results that have come from perpetual motion research far outweigh the efforts that have gone into it.

Plus, you misinterpreted. He already *is* doing it.
He's not trying to do it, he has a working prototype already.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's same different color gels, but this time, ground glass removed. You can clearly see the shape of flash tube on the wall:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the purpose of the ground glass specifically to act as a diffuser???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, please stay away from emotional comments and stay purely on the subject :pleeeze:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course, ground glass is a diffuser element, I just tried to go without it - to see how things look. And they look terribly Smile

P.S. halogen modeling lamps are very bad guys, I already cracked one ground glass due to excess heat from modeling lamp. Now installed IR blocking glass, let's see how it will work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodies arrived, and way better results achieved Smile

1. Halogen modeling lamp replaced by LED - much brighter, much whiter, much much less heat.

2. Got condenser assembly from an old medium format slide projector - much better than ground glass.

3. A lot of 3 projection TV lens arrived - also a great improvement in light transmission.

Here how it will look - a sheet of paper shows the area, where stencils will be placed.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for suggestions. I prefer to use studio strobes - for higher power and larger projected image area. For example, the above shown setup projects image with diameter of 2 meters, with brightness enough for ISO 100 @ F11. I don't think, on camera flashes can handle that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost did a critical error Smile
Everything working so fine with the modeling light, that I was about to call for models and arrange a session. But then I've tried using flash itself, not modeling lamp Smile

Long story short, projector condenser is designed for point light source - light bulb. It is not suited for circular light source, which is the flash bulb in studio lights. So condenser has to gone, and ground glass - welcome back Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything goes just fine. Now system accepts Cokin "A" size filters/stencils, and all I need to do is to manufacture cover, to avoid light spillage.

The picture is made at 1/160, ISO100, F11, light source is 4 meters away from the wall, using 120ws strobe at 3/4 power and projection TV lens (78mm F0.9). Stencil diameter is 35mm, and as you can see by light overspill, it can be increased to at least 40-45mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what is fun? The fact that things I call "stencils" are called "gobo" in lighting word Smile

Further advancements:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Device is 90% complete (planning to add tilt adapter, to correct geometric distortions from sideways projection).

Here's sample (please disregard pose, framing, etc. this was shot just for illustration purposes).

The background is illuminated by 120ws strobe at full power. Front is illuminated by 200ws strobe at 1/4 power, 120cm octagon softbox