Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast prime around 28-40mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done..!

I did not contribute as I was waiting for our esteemed founder to weigh in with 'my' obvious choice, a Konica of some sort, probably the 40mm 'pancake' which is well on the way to legendary status but...

Hope the Vivitar gives you everything yoiu are looking for!

Doug

gcogger wrote:
OK, I've stopped dithering and made a decision Smile

I've ordered a Vivitar (manufactured by Komine) 28mm f/2. This is the 49mm filter close focus version and rumour has it that it may be better than the Kiron one. It was cheap enough at £45 in (apparently!) top condition, so I can try it without too much risk. I also remembered that I have an old, beaten up, Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 somewhere, so 28 + 50 makes more sense than 35 + 50. This was in Minolta MD fit so, as I've bought the adapter anyway, I couldn't resist a cheap (£20) Minolta 45mm f/2 pancake lens as well for when I want fast and light. Not really sensible, but when they're this cheap... Smile

If I don't like the 28mm I'll sell it and get the Minolta MC 35mm f/1.8 which I've seen for about £80. I found someone who had compared it to the Canon and Nikon 35mm f/2 lenses and said that all 3 were equally sharp wide open.

Fingers crossed...

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Well done..!

I did not contribute as I was waiting for our esteemed founder to weigh in with 'my' obvious choice, a Konica of some sort, probably the 40mm 'pancake' which is well on the way to legendary status but...

Doug

Well, if I don't like the 28mm then I'll need to find something else! What put me off the Konica 40mm is that the only samples I could find with the lens wide open looked very soft.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chat with Attila and I suspect he might change your mind! lol

Doug

PS Pentax have some sharp small primes too... Smile

gcogger wrote:
nemesis101 wrote:
Well done..!

Doug

Well, if I don't like the 28mm then I'll need to find something else! What put me off the Konica 40mm is that the only samples I could find with the lens wide open looked very soft.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the new Voigtlander 40/2? Great optics, in native Pentax, Nikon and EOS mounts, pancake design and by f/4 purportedly sharper than even the Nikkor 24-70 @ 40mm.