Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fast Portait Lens Options
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Fast Portait Lens Options Reply with quote

I'm after a fast lens for headshots. Something like 180-200mm and F2.8 or faster. My usual preference is M42 lenses but this will probably only see use on 5Dii.

The Sonnars seem to suffer with fringing a little too much for my liking, so what other options are out there that produce excellent IQ. The price should be cheaper than a similar AF lens (or I may have to get an AF lens).

Oh, and I don't care how heavy it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f2.8 , 200mm f2.8
Carl Zeiss Sonnar 180mm f2.8 Contax.
Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED
Tamron SP 180mm f2.5
Olympus OM 180mm f2.8
I prefer Zeiss from above list especially Jena due it's price level, try different versions don't judge on one copy what you had. Sonnar can be stunning with awesome bokeh especially if you keep space in background Smile
My favourite from all Sonnars oldest one, commonly call Olympic Sonnar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All non-APO/ED lenses suffer from bokeh CAs, most of them from CAs too. I suggest to look at this lenses:
Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED
Tamron SP 180mm f2.5

I own CZJ "Olympic" Sonnar 2.8/180, Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/180, APO-TELYT R 3.4/180 and lot of cheap slower 200mm lenses (Vivitar, Takumar, Pentacon....).

I use almost exclusively APO-TELYT, no other lenses can reach it's wide open quality even they are stopped down to f5.6.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
All non-APO/ED lenses suffer from bokeh CAs, most of them from CAs too. I suggest to look at this lenses:
Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED
Tamron SP 180mm f2.5

I agree with this. Get the Tamron if you can find one. Tamron only built about 3000 of them, so they're kinda rare. I owned a Nikkor 180 ED and it was one of my favorite lenses. Very very sharp and well corrected.

Vivitar S1 200/3 might also be a possibility. I've heard it is also a well-corrected optic, but I'm dealing with 2nd-hand info. Big Dawg owns one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a soft spot for anything with the Vivitar brand this would be my choice but there are so few around and sell for their rarity rather than their quality so inflated prices put me off.

I'll keep a watch for a Sonnar, Nikon ED & the Tammy. I take it these are usable wide open as I'll be shooting them @F4 or wider.

Last edited by martinsmith99 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180mm for portrait! you will also need this accessories to talk with the model

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even get the older Nikkor 180 AI (non ED) for around 200 or cheaper sometimes, its a great lens too. Im sure the ED is better, but the 180 I have gets raved about more than any other lens I loan to people....including my 85 1.4! (but I think thats just because cant focus the thing!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a fast [2.8], really apochromatic 200mm that is affordable: Mamiya 645 A 200/2.8 APO. I just got one for 400 euros and I know another offer for the same price.
This lens is very close in IQ to the Leica APO-Telyt 180/2.8, I have been told.
Build quality is great. Coatings are good and contrast is high. It's not light or very compact, but that is the only price you pay here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

Not for a headshot, which is what he mentioned. On a 35mm format camera, 180-200 is about perfect and should put you at only about 8-10 feet away.

I do question the desire for a fast lens for headshots. On a FF camera at the distances required for a headshot, you will barely get the eyelashes in focus at f2.8. Might as well save some money and look for an f3.5 or f4 model and you'll still likely be stopping it down to get both eyes in focus.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fancy a cheap thrill, keep an eye on 180mm lenses on Fleabay - I recently picked up a Harmony 180mm F3.5 with original hood for £12...!

Worth a punt at that money.

You have a PM Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Simon - I had seen that lens and the haze and damaged coatings put me off. I will keep an eye on a better sample of that lens though as a few have recommended the Nikon EDs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
On a 35mm format camera, 180-200 is about perfect and should put you at only about 8-10 feet away.

I do question the desire for a fast lens for headshots.

Ah then, then I have perfect FF portrait lenses: Meyer Telemegor 180/5.5 and Tele-Takumar 200/5.6. My equivalent HF / APS-C lenses would be: Enna Tele-Ennalyt 135/3.5 and Jupiter-11 135/4. All were pretty inexpensive.

I like 'character' lenses for portraiture. I find myself more and more using enlarger or MF/LF lenses on bellows and tubes. Old imperfect glass is OK with me, especially if I can add a violet or blue filter for B&W shots that emulate early film emulsions.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast Portait Lens Options Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I'm after a fast lens for headshots. Something like 180-200mm and F2.8 or faster. My usual preference is M42 lenses but this will probably only see use on 5Dii.

The Sonnars seem to suffer with fringing a little too much for my liking, so what other options are out there that produce excellent IQ. The price should be cheaper than a similar AF lens (or I may have to get an AF lens).

Oh, and I don't care how heavy it is.

To tell the truth I'd go auto-focus and get the Canon EF 70-200 f4 L and the price is reasonable at $639 US or cheaper used for an L lens...the IQ is better then all the MF lenses recommended here....it may not be fast,but it handles low light situations well...if you don't want to out quite that much,then I'd recommend the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM for $379 US or less used and a very handy focal length for portraits....it also provides L quality shots without the L series price.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have the 70-200 F4 L. Laughing

I have been using a Canon 135 2.8 but it's a lttle too short for tight head shots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 135's too short? To each his own I suppose. I find a 135 to be just about dead-nuts perfect for a fairly tight headshot.

Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 AI, scanned slide.

I was probably about 4 feet away from my subject when I took the above shot. If you prefer a longer working distance, then yeah, I can see why you'd prefer something in the 180-200mm range. But lens compression begins to have an effect, which some photographers don't care for. Me, I think that, in general, compression is much less of a drawback than elongation caused by too short of a focal length, and that in some cases, compression can enhance a person's looks. Which is another reason why I like the 135mm focal length -- the additional compression I get compared to a "normal" portrait length like 85mm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I already have the 70-200 F4 L. Laughing

I have been using a Canon 135 2.8 but it's a lttle too short for tight head shots.

Have you tried a headshot at 200/4 and found you want even less DOF? I would find that hard to beleive!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

CZJ 180/2.8 P6
three meters

at 4 meters