Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extremely Rare German Lens Edixagon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:

You have a German made Pancolar. There was a Japanese made "Pancolar" that appeared in the late 1960s, which more frequently appears with the name Exaktar on it. That was the lens I was referring to, not to the genuine German Pancolar. Edit: more on this lens here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=54454

The Edixagon lens appears around the same time, which is not surprising considering the way German lens makers were going in that era.

As for the other Edixa lens, Edixar, etc. they may postdate Edixa camera production. The Edixa name, like the Miranda name was used on products for years after the original company called it quits.

Yes Mos, I remember that thread now !
I have the "old" german Pancolar, wich is also a german Exaktar 50/2.0 :

And the Japanese Exaktar is this one (?) 50/1.8 :
© Captain Jack's Exakta

(Edit : I had all the datas, but not in the good order in my brain, lol)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some more "evidence" to ponder:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157607817309661/with/3038533812/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157624006758705/with/4611706029/

Same photographer. One set shot with an Edixagon 2/50, one set shot with a Mamiya 2/50.

Mamiya_50F2_SX by yoyo31, on Flickr

Edixagon 50/2 by yoyo31, on Flickr

Notice that both lenses bright line to the same degree, double line in the background OOF areas, and that the specular highlights become more and more "football" (the American kind) shaped as they near the edges, giving both lenses a slight "swirl" bokeh.

Interesting isn't it?

If you look through the other photos you'll notice another common characteristic, the OOF foreground rendering is very soft, whereas the background rendering is very "edgy" with all the bright lining and double lining going on.

Compare to a 2/50 Heligon:

Big Funk Guarantee by Filippo He, on Flickr

Much less noticeable double lining, although the bright lining is still there - overally less edgy OOF area.

Yashinon 2/50 for good measure:

pin forest by deaf burglar (to bokeh or not to bokeh?), on Flickr

Note the rendering is noticeably different from the two lenses above which I don't believe the Edixagon could be related to the Yashinon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157607817309661/with/3038533812/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yoyo31/sets/72157624006758705/with/4611706029/

Same photographer. One set shot with an Edixagon 2/50, one set shot with a Mamiya 2/50.

I think the owner should have discovered they are the same lens.... May be I should bring my Retina Heligon 1.9/50 out today and see if it is worth for the $500+ price tag. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I think the owner should have discovered they are the same lens.... May be I should bring my Retina Heligon 1.9/50 out today and see if it is worth for the $500+ price tag. Wink

Yes please.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
(...)

Mamiya_50F2_SX by yoyo31, on Flickr

Edixagon 50/2 by yoyo31, on Flickr

Notice that both lenses bright line to the same degree, double line in the background OOF areas, and that the specular highlights become more and more "football" (the American kind) shaped as they near the edges, giving both lenses a slight "swirl" bokeh.

Interesting isn't it?
(...)

Yes Mos, not a formal evidence, but disturbing, undoubtedly.
Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The myth is becoming even more absurd: http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Schneider-Tomioka-zebra-EDIXAR-1855mm-for-WIRGIN-Edixa-RARE-SERVICED-/261293072016

Now these lenses aren't content with just being either German or Japanese - now they're both simultaneously! Laughing The Edixar is obviously the product of cooperation between Schneider and Tomioka. Rolling Eyes This is probably the zaniest theory behind the origin of these lenses yet.

100% certain this is the same lens as the 1.8/55 Yashinon. Compare the back of the Edixar to this Yashinon: http://www.ebay.com/itm/auto-YASHINON-1-8-55mm-Lens-M42-Japan-/190909587909?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2c731921c5 They're identical.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's more absurd - the ebay claims or the speculating about the truth. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M42-Schneider-Tomioka-zebra-EDIXAR-1855mm-for-WIRGIN-Edixa-RARE-SERVICED-/261293072016

Laughing This is Pancolart's lens...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't know what's more absurd - the ebay claims or the speculating about the truth. Wink

There is no doubt it is the same lens as the Yashinon 1.8/55 the construction of the lenses is identical (and distinctive). The only thing to speculate about is - how and why they were branded Edixar. I'm not sure what suggests the involvement of Schneider in the matter.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's for bringing out the subject. I was aware that is imminent. In fact i was the one starting this topic. Regarding the Edixar it has some distinctive features, it was used on EDIXA cameras and there is no "made in Japan" on it. I didn't alter the lens in any way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two or three of these "rare" lenses. From my impression, it is not made in Germany. Looked japanese made.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is quite obviously Japanese, really quite indisputably Yashica/Tomioka. The difference, cosmetically of the focus and aperture rings is not that significant, Yashica used the same style on several of their first SLR lenses as well as on some rangefinder lenses, so they obviously had the ability to produce them this way. The cut outs for the f stop and depth of field, and the construction of the mount are indistinguishable from the normal Yashinon 1.8/55.

The mystery as always - is what Wirgin had to do with all of this. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold-item Reply with quote

These keep popping up on eBay as "Rodenstock Edixagon"s or "mystery Edixagon"s or sometimes even "mystery Heligons", probably to fleece the unknowing of their hard earned dollars. I have been collecting German 50mm M42 mount primes of the 1950s and early to mid 1960s (when things turned plasticky), and I will be darned if this is a lens made in Germany. Admittedly, if this were a Rodenstock lens, the serial numbers of these "mystery Rodenstocks" would place them in the period between 1969 and 1971, which would seem about right. But note that the lens suddenly went from 6 to 7 digit serial numbers (pictures 1 and 2 below).

So what's the circumstantial evidence that this is not a German lens?

1. The lens does not bear a marking that it was made in Germany. Every German lens I own bears this marking in one way or another.

2. The lens does not bear the name of the producer. This is the strongest indicator that this is a generic store brand kind of lens. Like Japanese, German high-quality lenses bear the producer's name, the location of its headquarter, and a serial number. Some producers, like Rodenstock and the West German branch of Zeiss, are exceptions and do not bear the location, but they always bear the producer's name.

2. The lens has a minimum F-stop of 2.0. This would be an uncommon widest aperture for a German 50mm SLR prime, who tended to have 1.8 or 1.9 maximum apertures since the mid or late 1950s, including the truly rare Rodenstock Heligon.

3. The lens coating seems to develop yellow tinging like the radioactive Takumars do. I have never seen this color of tinging or coating on a German lens, whose coatings tend to have a blue, purple, or a purple and orange hue.

4. The barrel design simply does not look like anything German. Like many others who wrote before me, my first reaction just looking at it and before reading this thread was that the lens looks like a Mamiya Sekor. In fact, the numerals for the focus and f-stop markings, and their layout, resemble a Mamiya-Sekor 50/2 almost to the mu (figures 3 and 4) and that the diaphragms appear to be identical (figures 5 and 6). The serial number on the other hand is more reminiscent of either a Yashinon or, in fact, a Rodenstock. So either it is a generic "Edixa store brand" lens made in Japan, or it is an early case of outsourcing (Picture Edixa calling Rodenstock: "Eh, Rodenstock, you got some cheap semi-fast primes for our low end model?" Rodenstock: "Are you @#$%ing kidding me? Do you not know who we are? - but wait, I got an idea.")

5. This is where it gets subjective, but the color rendering is not typically German. Across a variety of photographers the photos taken with this lens are too intense in color, in ascending order in the blues, skin tones, and reds. In particular the skin tones and reds strike me as being too warm, perhaps because of the yellow tinging of the lens, but it is also common to my new Sonys which don't have any tinging. Hence, it might be a "cultural difference" in how Japanese and German lens makers like their colors rendered. The only older German lenses that I have seen that produce colors of similar intensity are the CZJ Flektogon and the Leica Elmarit (both 35 mm lenses).

All that said, I find this lens produces very pleasing results except in skin tones. But why pay hundreds of dollars for something you don't know what it is instead of paying $30 or 40 for a Mamiya Sekor and have a ton of fun with it?

Last edited by Bladejunkie on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread to revive. I have since my last post in this thread several years ago, seen that the Edixagon is the same lens as the Exaktar 2/50, just with an M42 mount. So it is unquestionably Japanese.

I do quite like the lenses really, but it goes to show how effective internet myths can be at inflating prices - the Edixagon 2/50 is often listed for prices five to ten times more than an Exaktar 2/50 will bring. Granted the M42 mount is a little more convenient, but I'm not convinced that convenience is worth a few hundred dollars.

Last edited by Mos6502 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
Interesting thread to revive. I have since my last post in this thread several years ago, seen that the Edixagon is the same lens as the Exaktar 2/50, just with an M42 mount. So it is unquestionably Japanese.

I do quite like the lenses really, but it goes to show how effective internet myths can be at inflating prices - the Edixagon 2/50 is often listed for prices five to ten times more than an Exaktar 2/50 will bring. Granted the M42 mount is a little more convenient, but I'm not convinced that convenience is worth a few hundred dollars.

It is common that the M42 mount lenses run a good bit higher than Exakta mount lenses of the exact same type. I would say, the premium is on the order of 50 percent on average. But if this lens costs instead 10 times of its, admittedly suspected, twins (Exaktar or Mamiya Sekor), then most likely because it pretends to be what it is not. Sellers claiming that these are Rodenstocks, let alone Heligons, without any of the sellers ever delivering any proof for that claim, are ignorant at best and shifty at worst.

I just dug a little deeper and found some information. The U.S. importer of this lens was Camera Specialty Co. and its price for the Edixa Prismat LTL was 149.50. The price for or with the Schneider Xenon 50 1.9 was 169.50. The data are from 1968. I do not know whether that included the body, but I think it did. The price difference between the two corresponds exactly with the price difference one would have seen between the Schneider Kreuznach Xenon 50/1.9 and an ISCO Goettingen Westagon or Westrocolor 50/1.9 roughly 10 years earlier, which was considered a lesser lens. By contrast the Schneider Kreuznach Xenon and the Rodenstock Heligon cost exactly the same then (all of them were a lot more beautifully built then too).

The same publication indicates that the Edixagon cost $80 a Yashinon 50/2 $90, and the 55/2 Takumar $61. So if we assume that the prices above included the body and parse the lens prices out of the bundle, then the Schneider Xenon by itself would have cost $100 and thus been 25 % more expensive than the Edixagon.

In contrast to the previous discussion these data are no indication where the lens was made, but they provide some perspective on how the lens was rated if price reflected quality and/or production costs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positive that the Exaktar 2/50 and Edixagon 2/50 are the same lens. If you hold them side by side you will see there is no question about it. Superficially there are some outward differences because of the different mounts and aperture actuation mechanisms, but when you look at the glass, coating, diaphragm, retaining rings, screws, etc. those are all identical. I'd expect one could swap lens elements between the two without any problems. While that still doesn't answer the question of who made them, at least a few of the Exaktar lenses are marked with "Japan" so it's safe to say the whole lot is Japanese in origin.

edit: check out this thread on a fake Pancolar (Exaktar with fake Pancolar name ring screwed on over the original one) :
http://forum.mflenses.com/did-i-buy-a-fake-pancolar-50-2-t65543.html

Easy things to spot are the unique front element with the metal ring visible behind it, same amber color coating, and the same rendering as the Edixagon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
I am positive that the Exaktar 2/50 and Edixagon 2/50 are the same lens. If you hold them side by side you will see there is no question about it. Superficially there are some outward differences because of the different mounts and aperture actuation mechanisms, but when you look at the glass, coating, diaphragm, retaining rings, screws, etc. those are all identical. I'd expect one could swap lens elements between the two without any problems. While that still doesn't answer the question of who made them, at least a few of the Exaktar lenses are marked with "Japan" so it's safe to say the whole lot is Japanese in origin.

edit: check out this thread on a fake Pancolar (Exaktar with fake Pancolar name ring screwed on over the original one) :
http://forum.mflenses.com/did-i-buy-a-fake-pancolar-50-2-t65543.html

Easy things to spot are the unique front element with the metal ring visible behind it, same amber color coating, and the same rendering as the Edixagon.

I don't doubt that these are the same lens. Also that some Exaktars carry "Japan" is pretty much definitive.

I just looked at my 50s and will note that of all 50s I have lying around, there are not two that have the same focus throw, use the exact same numerals for their focus and aperture markings, and use what I think is the same font. The body of evidence thus suggests that both the Exaktar and the Edixagon are 50/2 Mamiya Sekors. That's at least what I will believe until I see any evidence that convinces me otherwise. I just hope it saves some folks who are inclined to believe in the mystery and go after the fantasy of a Rodenstock hundreds of dollars. Because at the price point quoted for these lenses, you could as well go for a number of truly great and proven German lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold- Reply with quote

Bladejunkie wrote:

All that said, I find this lens produces very pleasing results except in skin tones. But why pay hundreds of dollars for something you don't know what it is instead of paying $30 or 40 for a Mamiya Sekor and have a ton of fun with it?

I have directly compared one of these "mystery Edixagons" with a M42 Mamyia Sekor 2/50mm. The Mamyia was much sharper over the field and especially in the corners.

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold- Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Bladejunkie wrote:

I have directly compared one of these "mystery Edixagons" with a M42 Mamyia Sekor 2/50mm. The Mamyia was much sharper over the field and especially in the corners.

Stephan

So basically a very common $20 lens beats the $400 Edixagon. Laughing

There have been a few different versions of the Mamiya 2/50, but while they share some strong similarities I no longer think they're the same lens. Others have suspected a link to Cosina, and indeed Cosina did supply lenses to Regula for the Regula Reflex, so it wouldn't be too startling if they did the same for Wirgin/Edixa. But so far as I have seen there is no Cosina 2/50. The lens may have been "choked" to f/2, which might explain the unusual ring of metal visible just behind the front element though. For the Cosina connection is the amber coating, finish, and mechanical similarities, as well as the fact that Cosina supplied many companies with lenses, so it's hardly unusual for their lenses to be labelled under other brands, even German ones.
There is also the Edixar 1.8/55, which for some reason does not enjoy the mystique or hype of the Edixagon, despite being about as rare or rarer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold- Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Bladejunkie wrote:

Stephan

Single sampling means nothing, especially which such old lenses, just because one copy wasn't so good....

You need to remember that instead of constantly telling us all your opinion like it is hard and fast fact.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold- Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Bladejunkie wrote:

Stephan

Single sampling means nothing, especially which such old lenses, just because one copy wasn't so good....

You need to remember that instead of constantly telling us all your opinion like it is hard and fast fact.

I have precisely written what i've done: Comparing one Edixagon with a M42 Mamiya Sekor 2/50mm. It is a hard fact that this Edixagon was worse than the Mamiya over the field and especially in the corners.

Everything else is pure speculation from your side Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/36-sold- Reply with quote

Stephan, PLEASE do not step into that trap. Don't accept his game, you can only lose.
Been there myself, best way is simply ignore, as hard as it may be. You do great work,
take that as a "compensation" and move one doing that, don't let yourself down... Wink