Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extension tubes for Olympus OM and NEX (auto or non-auto)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Extension tubes for Olympus OM and NEX (auto or non-auto) Reply with quote

I'm about to buy original extension tubes for my Olympus Zuiko OM 90/2 Macro. I will use the lens on my Sony NEX-5N.

Are there any reasons at all to buy the auto extension tubes or will the older non-auto version do just fine (or even better)? The non-auto version I found is slightly cheaper.

There is a small lever on the OM mount which activates the aperture mechanism. Will the non-auto extension tubes lock this lever into place so that the aperture ring is functional?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have to make up my mind today. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the auto version for 25 euro more. Let's see how it works out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, either type of Olympus extension tube should be fine for this application, as long as your OM-NEX adapter correctly activates the lens's auto diaphragm lever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the older "non auto" extension tubes activate the auto diaphragm lever? In that case it wouldn't even matter if the adapter works correctly or not. And the older and cheaper tubes would in fact be a better choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. The Olympus manual tubes do activate the lens's auto diaphragm lever, allowing all apertures to be used even if the OM-NEX adapter doesn't. This may not be true of all independent tubes, however.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!