Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta to M42 adapter for the camera. NOT for lenses :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Exakta to M42 adapter for the camera. NOT for lenses :) Reply with quote

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you know if you can easily adapt an Exakta camera with exakta mount to M42 mount.

An old man that fixes cameras told me this can be done.

I went home and took a look at my Exakta cameras an it all seems pretty easy. There are only 4 screws holding the plate with the mount to the camera.

Do you know of any adapters that are screwed to the camera?

Are there any restrictions like focus to infinity or anything else?

From what he told me you just unscrew one and screw in the other. You can swap them as many times you want. I know Exakta made some M42 cameras, too.

Cheers,
Florin Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of M42 camera body why do you want to ruin an Exakta body ?!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
There is plenty of M42 camera body why do you want to ruin an Exakta body ?!

You don't ruin anything. Laughing Don't worry Attila, I never ruined a camera. Laughing. I am not going to start now. Very Happy

The old man said that you take the camera, unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the plate with the mount to the camera, remove it, put the M42 in, screw the 4 bolts and that's it. You repeat the steps to mount the exakta mount again. You don't ruin or modify anything.

I love to shoot from the waist level. A TLR or a Pentacon 6 require 6x6 film. It is very hard to find a lab that processes and scans 6x6 film in Bucharest. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praktica FX series, Praktica VLC series have waist level finder, both are cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A slightly souped-up variant of the VLC was actually also marketed as the last GDR Exakta, the RTL1000, after the GDR nationalized Ihagee East and merged them into Pentacon - obviously the measurements are similar enough to make that feasible. Given that, it should not be hard to replace the (non-automated) Exakta bayonet with a non-automatic basic M42 thread ring specially cut (or buffered with spacer rings) to compensate for the extra millimetre of register.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Praktica FX series, Praktica VLC series have waist level finder, both are cheap.

Thank you for the tips! Wink

Sevo wrote:
A slightly souped-up variant of the VLC was actually also marketed as the last GDR Exakta, the RTL1000, after the GDR nationalized Ihagee East and merged them into Pentacon - obviously the measurements are similar enough to make that feasible. Given that, it should not be hard to replace the (non-automated) Exakta bayonet with a non-automatic basic M42 thread ring specially cut (or buffered with spacer rings) to compensate for the extra millimetre of register.

I read about this. If I understand correctly, the M42 plate needs to be 1mm thicker then the exakta one, right? I read on photo.net that someone made and sold these types of adapters in the '60s. Never seen one, though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some rare VX series (1950's) Exaktas I believe that were made with M42 mounts.

You can try the conversion using a cheap flanged M42-PK adapter. PK would be best because its the smallest diameter modern lens mount. Grind the PK mount part so it fits in the hole, put in some holes in the flange for the screws, and there you are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
There are also some rare VX series (1950's) Exaktas I believe that were made with M42 mounts.

You can try the conversion using a cheap flanged M42-PK adapter. PK would be best because its the smallest diameter modern lens mount. Grind the PK mount part so it fits in the hole, put in some holes in the flange for the screws, and there you are.

They made some Exa cameras in the '70s. There is one for sale in Bucharest but I've had bad experiences with that seller and he is asking a lot of money for it.

The M42-PK mod sounds nice but I don't know how much to grind away.

Cheers,
Florin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The M42-PK mod sounds nice but I don't know how much to grind away. "

Just enough so it fits in the hole in the camera I think.