Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Entertainment Galore with Jammed Adapter !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Entertainment Galore with Jammed Adapter ! Reply with quote

Tonight I discovered what I guess is one of the secret delights of manual focus lenses...

In a dimly lit restaurant I decided to try some shots and swapped lenses and adapters on the camera. Thought I was doing this carefully enough (although my eyeglasses had been forgotten at home), and took a few pictures before deciding I needed to use a wider angle lens.

That's where the fun began, because I found I had mounted the adapter 180 degrees from what is correct, and the lens+adapter would not detach from the camera mount !
In between main course (blackened grouper with salsa) and dessert, and brandy, I made genuine attempts to jiggle the lens free from the camera.
No luck. Nothing doing. It's still stuck together.
As I paid the bill, I consoled myself with the thought that here on MFLenses there was no doubt someone who could tell me how to get this problem solved...
So, is there anyone who has a solution to this variant of Rubic's Cube?
Hold on a moment, almost forgot to mention what items I have managed to involuntarily lock together: Canon 5D, Hoada chipped C/Y-EOS adapter, and Contax 85mm 1.4 lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Entertainment Galore with Jammed Adapter ! Reply with quote

Can you still see the red dot on the adapter or the 'hole'/recess for the adapter to catch the pin on the camera? I am able to see these two features with my C/Y(even with a lens mounted to the cam) adapter. If you do see the dot then it will be a matter of turn the lens(along with the adapter) until the red dot is about at 10-11 o'clock position.

good luck,
Cheers,

Contra wrote:
Tonight I discovered what I guess is one of the secret delights of manual focus lenses...

In a dimly lit restaurant I decided to try some shots and swapped lenses and adapters on the camera. Thought I was doing this carefully enough (although my eyeglasses had been forgotten at home), and took a few pictures before deciding I needed to use a wider angle lens.

That's where the fun began, because I found I had mounted the adapter 180 degrees from what is correct, and the lens+adapter would not detach from the camera mount !
In between main course (blackened grouper with salsa) and dessert, and brandy, I made genuine attempts to jiggle the lens free from the camera.
No luck. Nothing doing. It's still stuck together.
As I paid the bill, I consoled myself with the thought that here on MFLenses there was no doubt someone who could tell me how to get this problem solved...
So, is there anyone who has a solution to this variant of Rubic's Cube?
Hold on a moment, almost forgot to mention what items I have managed to involuntarily lock together: Canon 5D, Hoada chipped C/Y-EOS adapter, and Contax 85mm 1.4 lens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Cheve. There was no way to move it around to 10-11 o'clock, and now after finally getting it off the camera (it took a while and with some very careful pressure applied) and closely inspecting everything, I have some idea why it happened:
This Hoada adapter will allow the lens to be turned the wrong way (clockwise seen from in front) when you try to dismount the lens. I had mounted the lens correctly, but turned it the wrong way when trying to take it off.
The chip plate on the adapter then comes to the left side of the contacts which it is supposed to work with, the contacts then pop up on the wrong side of that plate and prevent it going back again.
The lens&adapter could be turned further around clockwise and then only partially loosened from the camera's bayonet fitting, something still was stuck. After a half hour of being ultra careful, a slight tug pulled it free.
Big relief (!). The aperature fin of the lens had in the process caught against the little catch for the focus screen above the mirror, and bent it slightly, otherwise no damage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky for you! Congratulations!

Synchronicity? Last night I did the same thing mounting S-M-C Tak 20/4.5 with M42-EOS chipped adapter on 5D! I didn't notice it was on upside down because it was dark and I used it at infinity focus by feel alone trying to capture some Perseids (got a couple dim ones). Luckily it didn't catch on anything; was easy to remove.

5D, S-M-C Takumar 20/4.5, ISO1600, 30 sec., no PP except to resize and convert to jpg

100% crop:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos, Sirius. My son is interested in sky shots and and I expect he'll be using this 5D and various lenses to shoot stars next time we're in the mountains.

When cleaning the camera today, we found also the plastic focus screen had suffered a few minor scatches (it fell loose and was tumbling around in there while I was trying to get the lens off).
But all in all it was not too expensive a lesson (compared against the time I dropped my lens into Lake Garda; I saw they were fetching $800 on Ebay these days!). You never did that, I hope?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Contra. Actually my first attempt at this. Smile Hoping to do better tonight.

Knock on wood, no, I've not dropped lenses or camera into waters (yet? Wow, I'd sure like to tempt fate by travelling to the beautiful Lake Garda) SmileSmileSmile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the line on crop picture a satellite?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mist wrote:
Is the line on crop picture a satellite?

Hi, Mist, the line was a Perseid meteor from the shower under way now as I write this. The moon has risen so I packed it in. Tonight was a pretty good shower; I saw about 50 or so. I got a few in photos, some a bit brighter than this one, but missed 4 spectacular fireballs waiting for noise reduction to complete...great learning experience though; next time I'll try using two cameras to avoid missing any...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you ... In Toronto we have very high light pollution. It is very hard to take such type of pictures. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use same noise reduction as this guy?
http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d16c.html Wink