Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Enlarger lens for birding?.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Enlarger lens for birding?. Reply with quote

What? Who would use an enlarger lens for birding? Well if that's the lens on your camera and opportunity arises, that's what you do.

Action macro?

Artsy fartsy.

One again my new favorite lens . Schneider Kreuznach Componon S 150mm 5.6 reversed on bellows. I did get in a minolta reverse ring for the 49mm filter ring and so switched to the much better minolta bellows iii (the one with tilt and shift) much easier to use.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ac Calvin says - "the best lens is the one you have with you"....
I am surprised by the quality of the images.
Thank you for sharing them
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I used a 20mm lens on my pic of a heron catching a fish. Like you, it was what I had on at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 is impressive when you blow it up. You must be quick.

These 1960's Componon's are really nicely made lenses too. The 150 5.6 is a lovely piece of kit in itself.

EDIT: I just realised it's a Componon S, not a '60s Componon.

Last edited by Sciolist on Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:

These 1960's Componon's are really nicely made lenses too. The 150 5.6 is a lovely piece of kit in itself.

After I went to bed last night I realized it was not the componon s. It is the one you mention. Schneider Kreuznach Componon 150 5.6.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caught that anna's hummingbird with the pink all the way on, nice work

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

After I went to bed last night I realized it was not the componon s. It is the one you mention. Schneider Kreuznach Componon 150 5.6.

Thanks. Nice things, aren't they. I love that convex curve on the front element.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these are lovely built lenses, I picked up the componar 75/4.5 and Componon 105/5.6 back when I first started to have a thing for high blade count lenses.

I've come to the conclusion that when you have only one lens ready to shoot, it will be the wrong lens to capture a once in a lifetime moment.
A number of years ago me and my buddies 3-4 of us went out shooting in one of the mountain parks near Calgary, we were lake side, all of us had switched to wide angle lenses to capture the lake and mountain, we heard a splash, we all turned to see a Bald Eagle 🦅 snatching a fish from the water, we all snapped a shot, but it was useless as the Eagle was to far away do any kind of justice to what we were seeing.

That you captured anything is a bonus, imagine trying to capture that bird with a 24mm lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are the longer focal length (Apo-) Rodagons and (Apo-) Componons, not to mention the famous Apo-EL Nikkors!!

Thos shoud works very well for birding, despite being rather slow lenses....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah 150mm isn't terribly bad birding lens, lol, while the birds come close curious about the bellows more usually seen pointing down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny. That hummer is the local male and he is named "Terry" because he is very territorial. He chases other hummers, the chickadees, even the blue Jay's and squirrels if they get to close to "his" feeder. He has performed marvelous acrobatic aerials for us. His favorite is to hover and "chirp" (they are surprisingly loud for such a small bird) then fly straight up in the air, then zoom down like a fighter jet on a strafing run. One time I was up near the apple tree seen in rhe photo and he performed six of those, one right after the next. Bird with 'tude!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, there are the longer focal length (Apo-) Rodagons and (Apo-) Componons, not to mention the famous Apo-EL Nikkors!!

I managed to find an Apo El Nikkor 105 5.6 in pretty much mint shape (the newer version) which has pretty amazing resolving power and contrast (not to mention lack of CA). I have yet to really take it out and shoot with it seriously.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I managed to find an Apo El Nikkor 105 5.6 in pretty much mint shape (the newer version) which has pretty amazing resolving power and contrast (not to mention lack of CA). I have yet to really take it out and shoot with it seriously.

You'll be very happy with it, not a bokeh king, but king of sharpness + detail!
Found in Japan I guess?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus, actually on eBay several years ago. I put a low bid of $1200 and to my great surprise got it. At the time I did not know there were two different versions and so happily bought a 40.5mm front clear filter which of course did not fit. The newer version has a 35.5mm filter thread. In addition the optical formula is quite different. The bokeh is very soft, of course, but the rendering is quite stunning.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Klaus, actually on eBay several years ago. I put a low bid of $1200 and to my great surprise got it. At the time I did not know there were two different versions and so happily bought a 40.5mm front clear filter which of course did not fit. The newer version has a 35.5mm filter thread. In addition the optical formula is quite different. The bokeh is very soft, of course, but the rendering is quite stunning.

Guess you beat me on that as I was (am) always watching those! I got one for $900 few years back (new type), later those went up and now more many people seem to know its unique merits! There is an older type on sale in Japan now, hint hint. Congrats again, a wonderful little lens it is! PS: I had the 210mm and 300mm too, but those are some heavy beasts and I sold them ...