Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Emulating a 35mm PC lens with a Flek 4/20
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Emulating a 35mm PC lens with a Flek 4/20 Reply with quote

I've often thought of getting a 35mm PC lens, but let's be realistic, a good PC lens doesn't come cheap, and I wouldn't be doing much shooting with it anyway. My pinhole snapshot experiment got me thinking: if I can get a decent shot for web use with a pinhole, I can certainly take a shot with a lens, do some cropping and still retain usable IQ.

Cropping to 35mm FOV from 20mm FOV means that a 35mm landscape frame fits comfortably inside a 20mm portrait frame. Here we have a down-sampled center crop at 35mm FOV (i.e. 56mm FF equivalent on a 350D. It seems the camera wasn't quite horizontal, but this was the best shot I found in my archives.):

Now, let's shift down:

and then up:

Portrait orientation gives us somewhat less shift, of course. First a center crop, left of center:

Then the lower limit:

and the upper limit:

As you can see, a single frame shot with the 4/20 can give quite many different views with correct vertical lines (within the limits dictated by the original shot, of course.) The IQ is quite adequate for typical web use at least, and you can do the shifting during PP, any of the variants, ad lib.

Here is the original frame (I should have aimed somewhat lower in order to retain correct verticals. Here the horizon is below the frame midpoint.):

Mounting the Flek on a 5D would give either a better IQ at the same crop factor (at the real 35mm FOV) or a wider shift range at the same number of pixels before down-sampling (at an about 44mm FOV). A 5D2 would fare even better, except perhaps at the extreme off-center areas of the full frame.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a great opportunity! Many thanks for sharing here this excellent idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get this. How does simply cropping give you shift/PC results? I thought that tilt/shift had more to do with the image plane as opposed to simply cropping. What am I missing?

Are you applying an image processing plug-in to fix the distortion?

Attila wrote:
Seems a great opportunity! Many thanks for sharing here this excellent idea!