Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EF/EF-S lens to M42? Is it possible?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: EF/EF-S lens to M42? Is it possible? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to fit EF or EF-S lens on M42 camera? Any adapter for this?

Thanks,

- Log

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: EF/EF-S lens to M42? Is it possible? Reply with quote

lograam wrote:
Hi,

Is it possible to fit EF or EF-S lens on M42 camera? Any adapter for this?

Thanks,

- Log

It is possible, but not practical for most applications. You'd need a series of adapters (cheap Canon extension tube, m60 to m58 stepdown filter adapter, m58 - m42 reverse adapter). You can't get infinity focus with such an adapter without extra glass (read teleconverter). Also the Canon EF lenses have an electronically controlled aperture. Without camera, they'll stay wide open (there is a workaround for this though). So if you're looking to use your EF lenses wide open and close up, it can be done on a M42 camera..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: EF on M42 Reply with quote

Thank you dickb for your insight,

I own a 3x teleconverter that have M42 on both ends. I have a M42 to EF adapter on a Canon EOS 40D and I plan to buy some M42 lens to fit on the teleconverter. I already own some EF and EF-S lens too and try to figure out how I can fit them on the teleconverter.

So, following your plan, to fit EF lens on M42 teleconverter, I need to set adapters like this?

CANON 40D -> M42 to EF adapter -> x3 teleconverter -> M58 to M42 adapter -> M60 to M58 adapter -> cheap canon extension -> EF/EF-s lens

is this the only way to fit the lens on the x3 teleconverter?

Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To begin with, I don't think this is a wise project from an optical quality point of view. Also the ease of use of this combination will be very limited. Still, if you just like to tinker and try things out that others try to dissuade you from, go right ahead.

In your setup a problem will be infinity focus. This bit: M58 to M42 adapter -> M60 to M58 adapter -> cheap canon extension front ring will act as a short extension ring. If you want infinity focus, the rear of the EF lens should be slightly closer to the teleconverter than an M42 lens would normally be. If you add the rings I mentioned before it will be further away. Attaching the front Canon extension ring somehow directly onto the m42 teleconverter may help getting closer to infinity but then you risk jamming the rear parts of your Canon lens onto the converter. Not a smart move imho.