Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Earliest and latest versions of Zuiko 1.8/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Earliest and latest versions of Zuiko 1.8/50mm Reply with quote

Please excuse the lousy photography... I spent a while yesterday locating my old Zuikos in the boxes they were to compare to the set that came with the OM2n. Turns out my old (bought new in '84) 1.8 is the latest 'made in Japan' and the one that just came is an older silver nose one (says Made in Japan on the mount instead). There are size and other detail differences. The '84 1.8 and the 85/2 (also of the 'latest' type) are purple, while the older silver nose 1.8 and the 1.4 my brother in law got from KEH at least a decade ago are yellow-brown.

Haven't tested them to say what differences there are. These are strictly film lenses, unless and until I end up with a digital Oly or Nex.

Last edited by Nesster on Wed May 16, 2012 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having done some research, seems the silver nose is the earliest and the made in Japan the latest versions. I suppose I'll have to do some comparisons between the two, seems they have formula and coating differences.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have different optical?
I think I have both from a lot years ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some info in the german olypedia. Here's a link with google translation to english:
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://olypedia.de/Zuiko_Auto-S_1:1,8/50_mm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/50mm1a.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my research (F/G...)Zuiko = not multicoated, and Zuiko & Zuiko MC = multicoated.
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/50mm1a.htm

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, there are 4 different types.

The silver nose one, the non silver nose, the "Japan" one, and the "Made in Japan". (I have 3 out of the 4)

The "Made in Japan" seems to be the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
From my research (F/G...)Zuiko = not multicoated, and Zuiko & Zuiko MC = multicoated.
ussualy, but there are some exceptions

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dnas wrote:
As I recall, there are 4 different types.

The silver nose one, the non silver nose, the "Japan" one, and the "Made in Japan". (I have 3 out of the 4)

The "Made in Japan" seems to be the best.

This is confusing as well;- one of my lenses has "made in Japan" on the front and "Japan" on the mount AND my other lens has nothing on the front but "made in Japan" on the mount Confused

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple rule of Zuiko thumb: if it has letters with the word Zuiko, and says made in Japan on the mount, it's an early version. The oldest have a silver trim on their noses, the next generation doesn't. After that the markings vary, there was a "MC" phase, but Olympus never seems to have made a huge deal about multicoating (and what we call 'single coated' usually means a few coats, not literally single)... usually these later multicoated versions have Japan on the front bezel instead of the mount.

Depending on the lens model, the formula may or may not have changed along the way.

It's not to say that the oldest Zuikos are bad, not to be wanted etc. They are excellent lenses and had they been coke bottles Olympus would not have had such a hit with the OM, now would they? The vintage reviews of the early lenses are uniformly excellent. Where Olympus trailed e.g. Pentax with its SMC is in flare levels. If one is flare phobic, by all means, the later lenses are the ones to get... Laughing

I'll have to put this to the test, but I suspect a benefit of simpler coatings is the possibilty of getting some light bloom, which can be very alluring indeed. Also, e.g. with the 85, the earlier versions are softer when opened up, which can be a benefit for portraiture.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I Also have the olympus OM Zuiko "mij" 50mm f1.8 & the zuiko MC 50mm f1.4...

My experience is that those are almost identical, except the f1.4 is f1.4 Smile
And thats quite an advantage when it comes to portrait with special soft effect...

But if im making razior sharp imagest of nature etc... there is no difference.
I wonder if the soft effect is intentional, or just natures law when it comes to optics.

What I mean is most of my subjects doesn't whant razior sharp pictures of their pimples Wink

Last edited by runetk on Sun May 20, 2012 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there seem to be two schools of lens design: ones that change character when closed down, and ones that seek to be consistently sharp all the way through. The consistently sharp designs tend to be the more expensive ones (and do well in tests) so are sought after. The other kind are maybe more useful though as you have some choice.