Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: E Reply with quote

edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Tue May 17, 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very fine article.
It is indeed very curious why Nikon issued this lens. A compact tele (well, this one is not really a tele, being a triplet, its just a long lens) is presumably of value, for the sake of light weight and compactness, but if its going to go on a big, heavy lump of a Nikon F body one has to wonder what's being gained.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of this lens before and never seen one for sale. It looks like an rf lens quite out of place in the SLR era.

The 2.5/105 seems to have been hugely popular judging by how many there seem to be around today, so for some reason the 4/105 can't have been a sales success, probably the price difference wasn't all that large so people went for the better 2.5/105.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed an uncommon lens in the UK and it's many, many years since I've even seen one advertised. I've handled the lens but never used it. I do have a front lens cap for one, but how I came by it I'm not sure

To understand its existence I suppose we have to go back and 'stand on the ground' in the late 1950s. Several of the first longer focal lengths originally made for the Nikon F were indeed those already being made for the Nikon rangefinder models and it would have made sense for the firm to assess the trend of demand for reflex camera lenses by making existing ones in the new fitting. Back then, the idea of 'traveling light' was still popular and we should remind ourselves that the 'plain' Nikon F (without the Photomic head) was by no means 'a big heavy lump'*, so that providing a lightweight 105mm lens would have looked like sound sense to the Nikon marketing department.

Canon made something similar for their early SLR models that was similarly an adaptation of rangefinder lens, the 5-element 100/3.5. It too faded away from their catalogue quite quickly.

* about the same weight and length as a Leica M, for which scores of thousands of 90mm f4 Elmars were sold in the 50s and early 60s.