Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DSLR PENTAX: I ask for your advice, please!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: DSLR PENTAX: I ask for your advice, please! Reply with quote

Hello:

Pentax wanted to acquire a DSRL, since I have lenses Pentax K and of M 42.

The automatisms are not important since I am a 49-year-old old man and have taken most of my photos with Spotmatic and Hasselblad 500 C.

It is indispensable that the camera takes feeding as batteries AA and sealed against the dust.

I had considered to buy it K 200 D, I want to buy neither a camera of toy, nor the very expensive one.

Please: I ask you to advise me.

Thank you and Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Pentax K20D with M42, early K, M, A, F, FA and the latest DA lenses. The only limitation is my skill level. For batteries the camera comes with a rechargable designed for the body battery with recharger that has a very decent life and on Ebay there are cheap copies of the battery costing around AUD $20 that do a decent job as a back up which fade a lot faster but still keep you going till the Pentax battery is recharged. The battery life is a lot better then the rechargable AAs I used with the Olympus E20 which required 3 sets in the bag every time I went out taking pics.
I'm in my mid 50s so you are just a young fella and should happily get your head around the workings of the camera once you take the time to read the manual which I should get around to doing one day.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DSLR PENTAX: I ask for your advice, please! Reply with quote

Petzval 1840 wrote:
I had considered to buy it K 200 D, I want to buy neither a camera of toy, nor the very expensive one.

The K200D has all you need ... it is far from a toy, believe me.

The production has however ended since december 2008, it could be thus difficult to find a new one.

I recommend adding the power grip for better handling as well as a split-screen to help focusing with your MF lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on what Jieffe says - the K200D uses much of the innards of the K10D, has weather sealing, and uses AA batteries. Definitely not a toy.

The K-M/K2000 also is no toy, but it may lack enough features to make a good choice.

I'm guessing that perhaps Pentax will replace the K200D at some point with a model derived from the K20D.

What the more expensive Pentaxes have the *00 series doesn't, from a MF lens pov- a better, larger viewfinder, and live view focusing. (Actually, I'm not sure the K200D lacks it)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
What the more expensive Pentaxes have the *00 series doesn't, from a MF lens pov- a better, larger viewfinder, and live view focusing. (Actually, I'm not sure the K200D lacks it)

The K200 has no live view.

About the viewfinder : the K200D has a pentamirror, the K10/K20 a pentaprism.

IMHO, the difference is not very important in terms of visual comfort.

Don't forget we Pentaxian also have focus confirm without the need of an additional chip.

Autonomy is very good with AA Eneloop-style batteries, especially if you buy the power grip.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My *istDS would shoot 1000++ RAWs in a course of various days with one charge of Eneloop AA batteries.
The *istD/Ds btw. also have the pentaprism viewfinder of the 2 digit K series cameras, and in Av mode measure M42 lenses better than the K models do, and they are very handy! But of course they do not have IS yet nor are they sealed.
IQ and high ISO on their 6MP sensor ( same as K100D ) are considered superior by many users to those of the 10 MP sensor of the K10D/K200D

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
My *istDS would shoot 1000++ RAWs in a course of various days with one charge of Eneloop AA batteries.
The *istD/Ds btw. also have the pentaprism viewfinder of the 2 digit K series cameras, and in Av mode measure M42 lenses better than the K models do, and they are very handy! But of course they do not have IS yet nor are they sealed.
IQ and high ISO on their 6MP sensor ( same as K100D ) are considered superior by many users to those of the 10 MP sensor of the K10D/K200D

cheers,
Andreas

Fully support this recommendation: Besides that, the *istDS has a prism instead of the mirror that have the K100/K200 series. Measuring light for MF lenses is really accurate.

Regards,

Jes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:

Well, when I upgraded my Samsung GX1S (Pentax IstDS2 clone) to the K200D, I noticed that my pictures looked sharper ... But I keep using the Samsung (more or less devoted to M42 lenses).

Both DSLRs are equiped with a chinese split-screen.

The Samsung light measure is spot on with manual lenses in manual or AV mode

The K200D is behaving differently : spot on in manual mode but requires a 2 EV correction in AV mode (no correction however if using a lens with "A" setting).