Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Doo, doo, doo, lookin' out my back door! Reply with quote

Huge winter storm systems have been passing through the United States,
with truly dangerous low temperatures and winds. Here in Michigan,
we have been brutalized by an onslaught of Arctic cold, high winds,
much snow, high winds causing snow drifts of over three feet,
dangerously low temperatures and windchills, and it doesn't seem that
it will ever stop.

This storm produced near whiteout conditions; it happened about two weeks ago:
(taken through the Tamron SP 28-80)

This was taken tonight, through my bedroom window.
The heaps of snow behind the cars have been piled up by BobCat tractors; there's an additional
15 to 25 parking spaces which are currently buried under snow.
(Taken through the Tamron 28-80)

This is actually looking out my back door.
While it may appear peaceful, the picture depicts an additional 8 to 12 inches of snow
we received just this morning, with a central pond being completely obscured by the snow.
(Taken through the Sigma 10-20)

This was the scene as I was leaving work today.
It is certainly beautiful to gaze upon, but the temperatures and windchills were foreboding.
Roughly 10 inches of snowfall is shown here.
(Taken with my HTC EVO 4G LTE)

This has been a horribly cold and dangerous winter season for us here in the western part
of the US State of Michigan; frostbite is possible after only 30 minutes, while death can
easily occur after less than one hour if not properly clothed.

Last edited by SkedAddled on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:11 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great title for your post! Excellent images...Damn that is a lot of snow, I can't even associate how cold it would be, to have that amount of snow laying around....let alone blasted into you with a high wind.

I am struggling with to much heat, although today the heat has backed off a lot,time for a breather...have you had any relief from this wintery onslaught?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shoots. Try more in daylight, falling snow gives cool bokeh. Wink

We have -21C° now, but its not feels really cold because of low humidity. Too bad its very low temp for photo(hands freezing fast).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely images, great song Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather you than us - we have had an unbelievably mild and dry winter here

patrickh

Love the pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analog lex wrote:
Nice shoots. Try more in daylight, falling snow gives cool bokeh. Wink
Thanks, but I can't. High wind speeds don't allow for snowfall bokeh. Shocked
All falling snow would show up as horizontal lines, blurs, or nothing at all.

Analog lex wrote:
We have -21C° now, but its not feels really cold because of low humidity. Too bad its very low temp for photo(hands freezing fast).

That's very cold, indeed. I hope you're able to stay warm!
There are a few lovely photo opps near to me, but it's just not possible for me to operate a camera in the open fields or roadsides while windchills are around -30° to -40° Fahrenheit. It's also a rather dangerous situation to be along the roadsides around here, as they are very icy and slippery. Any passing vehicle could easily lose traction and hit me or my car, no matter where I may be. There were reports of cars abandoned on snow-covered roads just two days ago because of drifting snow, making roads impassable.

Meanwhile, we're expecting temperatures of around 8°(F) tonight, with winds expected to be around 20-30MPH.
Tomorrow's forecast is even worse, with a high temperature of 6°(F) and more winds around 20-30MPH; windchills are expected to be around 20°-40° below zero(F), and a low temperature of -3°(F).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pictures show it well. We have been having the same conditions here. We had a couple of weeks where it struggled to get to -8 f and -9 f during the daytime with the windchill out of sight. I would imagine you are wishing for spring just like I am.

The snowmobile-rs are loving it as are the guys that bought new pickups with plows. They are paying for their pickups fast.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some parks, or forest, or riverside, also nice for winter photos. Roads surely too dangerous. ^^

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited