Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does Auto Quinaron have any coating?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Does Auto Quinaron have any coating? Reply with quote

Hi,
Just back from a freezing place and brought an exakta mount Steinheil Auto Quinaron 35mm f/2.8 for less than $10. The lens was in extremely poor condition with a dead spider inside. But after CLA done by myself, it looks nicer than before.
And does it coated on the lens elements? I don't find any in my lens. Please let me know.

Here it is:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/kl122002/DSC02510.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Steinheil lenses with auto-diaphragms were all made well inside the "age of coating". But often the early coatings were pale in colour and physically very soft, so that today many look as though uncoated. Try looking into the lens to see if there are any coloured reflections. Maybe if you've dismantled and cleaned the lenses that has removed what coating there was- Embarassed Let's hope not!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be a coated lens. Maybe it was full of fungus and all elements were polished to remove the fungus and the eaten coating.

Greetings
klaus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As already said, it should be coated ... Nevertheless, the Steinheil coating is quite fragile, as the Angenieux one, so, if the lens has not been handled with care ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I cleaned all elements with alcohol Sad I think I have removed the coating completely...

Is there any differences if the coating is completely removed?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if some alcohol may remove the coatings, but, if they are completely removed, then you will only need an hood Wink ...

Why don't you post some sample shots taken with this lens ?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alcohol would not remove the coating, but in some cases they are easily rubbed off. I don't know whether Steinheil developed their own coating procedure - in my experience most German camera manufacturers were licensed the Zeiss hard coating method in WWII and branched off that when the Zeiss patents were put into the public domain in 1945, so that they do not have as soft coatings as some of the US, UK, French and Italian makers (who often stuck to their original soft coatings for the inner surfaces until they went MC).

Sevo

Last edited by Sevo on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Does Auto Quinaron have any coating? Reply with quote

kl122002 wrote:
…with a dead spider inside.

Now there's something I haven't seen before. ;D

Perhaps it ate the coatings. (…)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens image shows clearly that it's coated. See the colors reflections pale purple and strong yellow (better transmission of the greens and blues waves : great landscape lens?).

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could post some photos, but I don't have a nice scanner Crying or Very sad
Just tested with it on this Friday night, the color looks great from this lens but I think it would be much better if I have a suitable hood.
The nearest distance of this lens is 0.75ft, about 22cm or something). The photos taken at this range seems softened. Would that caused by the scratched lens surface?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kl122002 wrote:
I wish I could post some photos, but I don't have a nice scanner Crying or Very sad
Just tested with it on this Friday night, the color looks great from this lens but I think it would be much better if I have a suitable hood.
The nearest distance of this lens is 0.75ft, about 22cm or something). The photos taken at this range seems softened. Would that caused by the scratched lens surface?

The lens looks pretty clean in the images, although it certainly could have some scratches. I don't think that they would affect your images unless they are REALLY deep and numerous. I see the reflected colors, and so I am going to presume there is still an intact coating. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

kl122002 wrote:

No, probably just the razor thin DOF at the shortest focusing distance, or a diaphragm too open ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of us know that it's better only one ot two deep marks in the front element (painted of black) that a lot of tiny marks in all the surface. I knew a pro who had a nikkor 2,8/180 with the surface of the front element with a lot of clean marks and he was very happy with it. The rear element is another question.