Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DIY colour attempt #9 - Kodak Color Plus 200/Kodacolor 200
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: DIY colour attempt #9 - Kodak Color Plus 200/Kodacolor 200 Reply with quote

I'm not sure this roll actually is Color Plus 200, as it said Kodacolor 200 on the canister and the box is different to other rolls of Color Plus 200 I've shot before, and what really makes me think it's not the same is it doesn't have the same 'brown' colouration and overall crappiness I associated with Color Plus. This roll was in date, expiring in 2014 and unlike the 6 and 8 year expired rolls I shot before this, has much better saturation and colour accuracy.

Light was so-so so I had to increase saturation and adjust colours a bit. Konica Ft-1 with Hexanon 1.7/50.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice autumn, winter series, seems developed well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, seems fresh film makes a huge difference, there's no comparison to the last two expired rolls, this is far better and I didn't do anything at all different in the developing process.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge difference! The colours and light are even across the frame, unlike the colour shifts on the other films. After coming close to binning a camera due to poor results, I tried a fresh film and then binned all my out of date film. One day I am going to take a once in a lifetime stunning shot and I don't want it ruined by out of date film (we all live in hope).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian , I hope you won't mind that I used a little time to try to restore a little the cast in one of these shots . Closer to the reality , probably still to work to get perfect match :

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Skida, I think the key thign with expired film is how it's been stored. I have a lot of expired film of all types and most of it has proved to be fine, so I was just unlucky with those rolls that turned out wacky/crappy. I would definitely use a fresh roll for anything of any importance though.

Hiya Teo. Thanks for the cast removal, that does look better. There was more of a magenta cast on these scans before I corrected them, but in some cases, I didn't get rid of the cast fully and I like what you've done to that one, many thanks, I will try to do better with the next roll and get the colours more accurate. Well, actually, the colours are not very accurate in the shots of the trees and leaves as it was gray and dull with low light so I had to boost the saturation and vibrance and tweak the colours to make it look sunnier and less flat, dull and gray. Considering how dull and gray it was, I'm pretty happy with these results, light is such a huge factor and you can only do so much to work around bad light.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers Skida, I think the key thign with expired film is how it's been stored. I have a lot of expired film of all types and most of it has proved to be fine, so I was just unlucky with those rolls that turned out wacky/crappy. I would definitely use a fresh roll for anything of any importance though.

Hiya Teo. Thanks for the cast removal, that does look better. There was more of a magenta cast on these scans before I corrected them, but in some cases, I didn't get rid of the cast fully and I like what you've done to that one, many thanks, I will try to do better with the next roll and get the colours more accurate. Well, actually, the colours are not very accurate in the shots of the trees and leaves as it was gray and dull with low light so I had to boost the saturation and vibrance and tweak the colours to make it look sunnier and less flat, dull and gray. Considering how dull and gray it was, I'm pretty happy with these results, light is such a huge factor and you can only do so much to work around bad light.

Probably just a liiittle lowering the saturation and vibrance would get back to more faithful result .
What I've did ? In Capture One 7 (trial vers ) : go in Exposure panel : Highlight 19, Shadow 16 Levels RGB 11 , Red -0,151 , Green 0,068, Blue -0,633
Hope this helps . I tried in LR also , but I found this specific job more intuitive for me in Capt 1
Probably you'll have to make little changes from frame to frame , if necessary .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Teo, I think you're right, I corrected the magenta cast first, then turned up the vibrance and saturation, so obviously, I should have then corrected the colour again as the magenta came back a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is your best effort so far, even with the majestic magenta color cast in some.

These are done with the nifty-new scanner? Some nice detail...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see how you fare with C-41 120.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bill, yup, my new Plustek. The light was not good for this roll so I had to pp them, have a look at the 'we shall remember them' thread I posted, that's my latest roll with fresh film in good light and that's definitely my best c41 so far:

http://forum.mflenses.com/we-shall-remember-them-t54449.html

I haven't got any rolls of c41 120, just e6 and bw, but I might pick some up sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian. Is there any chance that the scanner s/ware is adding "auto tone" during the scan and/or save? The magenta cast is most apparent on the tree lined shots, and I found out recently that digital cameras do this on auto colour temperature settings if there seems to be too much green in a shot. That explained why some of my old digital shots suffered from this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure skida, I've not been using vuescan very long. It has a lot of colour settings to play with and I'm sure if I tweaked them for each scan, I could get accurate colour. The way I have been doing it is to get somewhat accurate scans then tweak them in Photoshop.

Some scanners like Epson flatbeds tend to give a slight magenta cast to scans, maybe this Plustek also tends to do that? I'm not sure, it's something I have been wondering about because even my best roll where colour was perfect had a slight magenta cast when scanned, but just doing auto color in photoshop fixed it.