Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dented Filter Ring Repair Tool
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Dented Filter Ring Repair Tool Reply with quote

Any feedback on these?
They are quite expensive but do they have high success rate over the wooden dowel and hammer approach?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a badly dented ring the tool can be easier but for most dents the hammer method works better, even when I've used the special tool to get things back into shape I have needed the hammer and dowel for a bit of fine tuning.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look up my blutak method... somewhere here on these pages

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer this method, I think there is more control over how the dent is removed - as long as light taps are used. I made this out of ABS plastic sheet to suit a particular lens diameter, but I have used it for smaller lenses. It could easily be made from wood. I put electrical tape on the anvil to protect the paint and inside the filter thread ( although my picture doesn't show it )
The rest on the anvil jig is to hold the long lens in place and keep it level so I could do the repair without needing three hands.

I've repaired badly dented filter rings using this method, most of which you would never tell they were previously dented.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks looks very good to me!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I prefer this method, I think there is more control over how the dent is removed - as long as light taps are used. I made this out of ABS plastic sheet to suit a particular lens diameter, but I have used it for smaller lenses. It could easily be made from wood. I put electrical tape on the anvil to protect the paint and inside the filter thread ( although my picture doesn't show it )
The rest on the anvil jig is to hold the long lens in place and keep it level so I could do the repair without needing three hands.

I've repaired badly dented filter rings using this method, most of which you would never tell they were previously dented.

Nice one Lloydy Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:

Phil , do you have a link, cant seem to find it after searching blutak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought one.

Complete b-s.

Thread pitch is different than on filters (larger), so it will damage your lens irreversibly, beware!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:
philslizzy wrote:

Phil , do you have a link, cant seem to find it after searching blutak

Here you go, JohnBar:

http://forum.mflenses.com/easy-filter-ring-dent-removal-ttp-with-photos-t64651,highlight,%2Bfilter+%2Bring+%2Bdent.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dented Filter Ring Repair Tool Reply with quote

JohnBar wrote:

Do you mean to say "Filter Ring Dent Repair Tool"? One dented could easily "add", rather than "subtract" to number of dents in a filter ring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy you're pics are gone from that filter repair thread.

Nice rig Lloydy. I did something similar.