Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dating A Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Dating A Canon FL 55mm f/1.2 lens Reply with quote

No, not that kind of date...

I've searched the web for a way to find the date of manufacture for this lens but come up short. Many sites state that Canon started dating their lenses in 1960 and supply a date code table to figure out the year of creation. One just has to check the code on the rear stamp on the lens. Though this lens is from the late '60's, there's just one problem, the lens has no rear stamp (unlike the FD lenses I own).

Any ideas guys?

BTW, the serial is 18XXX...

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it look like this lens? If so, they were made in 1966 - 1967.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, according to the Canon Camera Museum, the 55mm f/1.2 was first offered in July 1968. See:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/fl/data/19-85/fl_55_12.html

I don't think Canon has ever published any information comparing their serial numbers to which years they were made.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AstroZon wrote:
Does it look like this lens? If so, they were made in 1966 - 1967.

Yup! That's the one. I saw that data too.

Michael, I also made the Canon Museum journey. It's a great resource. Thanks!

I did yet another search and noticed this old thread from my favorite site and best MF resource on the net (or anywhere else!)

http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fl-55-1-2-t66048.html

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just resurrected that old thread and added my FL 55/1.2's s/n to it. Which is 16017.