Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dallmeyer Anastigmat enlarging lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Dallmeyer Anastigmat enlarging lens Reply with quote

Martin Smith kindly sent me this lens to have a go with. It's a 3''/4.5 lens and looks to be possibly pre WW2. I fitted it by using the back end of a split Helios 44-2 to get a focusing mount. This was then attached to an m42 extension tube with a PK adapter to fit it to the camera. So by varying the extension tube(s) you can have differing focusing distances. As luck would have it the enlarging lens just screwed into the Helios focusing mount, but as yet I can't change the aperture without removing the lens- I need to add some kind of small handle to do that. Anyway the idea was to get a nice close focusing but soft lens for portraits and such and it seems to have worked ok, the second is much better than the first but I am still experimenting.

And here is the creation

Very Happy Very Happy
BTW the Helios 44-2 has not been harmed in any way during this process and can be returned to normal very easily...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
I got one of those and I was still thinking in how to mount it on the DSLr...
My first thougth was to drill a hole in a M42 body cap and mount it on bellows, but your approach seems better.
Congrats!.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito- that was my original intention but due to circumstances I had to improvise and I was just lucky it works. I know Martin Smith uses a similar technique by mounting the lens on a body cap then on one of Alex's heliciods. This is a little less cumbersome than using bellows I think, I just have to sort out the aperture issue now, mind you I plan to use it mostly wide open so its not so much of a problem but it would be nice to work it out Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the diameter of the mount on the enlarger lens? M39?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look and its a lot less than m39 looks about 29-30mm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks! I was looking for a 25mm host for my Schneider Componar 70/4.5 Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very creative. Well done! Although Sophia doesn't look so happy about it in the 1st pic.

Yes, I use the body cap or gasket mount method on my old enlarger lenses as I've had no luck with various adapters. The newer ones are sharper if the bug bites you.

It's a pretty soft lens wide open but down a couple of stops it sharpens up a bit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
Jesito- that was my original intention but due to circumstances I had to improvise and I was just lucky it works. I know Martin Smith uses a similar technique by mounting the lens on a body cap then on one of Alex's heliciods. This is a little less cumbersome than using bellows I think, I just have to sort out the aperture issue now, mind you I plan to use it mostly wide open so its not so much of a problem but it would be nice to work it out Very Happy

What do you mean by "aperture issue"?. Mine has a diaphragm and four stops...

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the lens is screwed to the Helios mount I can't actually change the aperture on the lens there is no room to get at the ring, so at the moment I have to leave it as it is set, or take it out, adjust the aperture and then replace it- this is something I am working on, my plan being to fix a protruding lever to the aperture ring so that I can move it when its mounted in the Helios end. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poolhall wrote:
When the lens is screwed to the Helios mount I can't actually change the aperture on the lens there is no room to get at the ring, so at the moment I have to leave it as it is set, or take it out, adjust the aperture and then replace it- this is something I am working on, my plan being to fix a protruding lever to the aperture ring so that I can move it when its mounted in the Helios end. Very Happy

I see, Wink
Great.

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Poolhall wrote:

I see, Wink
Great.

Regards,
Jes.

I told him to patent that idea!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lastest version, unpatented I might add! (I am more of an open source guy) Complete with operating aperture lever- just need some rubber grip for the helicoid section now

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good engineering work!.
Now I have a path to follow Wink
Thanks!.

Jes.