Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 'Zebra' on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 'Zebra' on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Hi folks

I was lucky to pick up a mint (really, like brand new, unused) Tessar in Exakta mount for 11ukp:

Raining and bad light here but I did manage some test shots.

f5.6:

f8:

f11:

f22:

There were wide open at mfd:

These were at f4 on a 5mm extension tube:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey , not easy to find such a shinny one! Congrats! IQ looks excellent also, I especially like tomato shoot!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm my mint black M42 CZJ 50mm f2.8 Tessar is not used as after a few shots and seeing the results it seems just an ordinary 50mm lens and nothing special.....anyway why would I want to use it when I have 50mms from Nikon, Canon, Konica, Olympus, Fuji, Minolta, Helios, Pentacon, Pentax etc Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get your point. None of those are available in Exakta mount to fit my Exakta mount cameras, hence this Tessar. Not all 50s render the same and this one makes a nice counterpart to my 1.8/50 Pancolar in Exakta.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian - close up ones look good - from raw files with a bit of sharpening ? Smile

Excalibur - "anyway why would I want to use it when I have 50mms from Nikon, Canon, Konica, Olympus, Fuji, Minolta, Helios, Pentacon, Pentax etc" - because it will be different !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get well your rude comment Excalibur too.. Ian did show his happiness with his new lens , if you not like it keep in silence , not necessary to ruin other member happiness . I had / have also so many 50mm lenses and I don't found Tessar is worst than others.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I don't get your point. None of those are available in Exakta mount to fit my Exakta mount cameras, hence this Tessar. Not all 50s render the same and this one makes a nice counterpart to my 1.8/50 Pancolar in Exakta.

Well I thought you were a Nex3 user and couldn't understand why you would buy and use the Tessar, when you have the Hexanon and others. Question

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I didn't get well your rude comment Excalibur too.. Ian did show his happiness with his new lens , if you not like it keep in silence , not necessary to ruin other member happiness . I had / have also so many 50mm lenses and I don't found Tessar is worst than others.

.....but Ian is not a newbie and my experience with the same lens will not upset him, and on other threads he doesn't agree with my Canon lenses and that doesn't upset me either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Attila wrote:

.....but Ian is not a newbie and my experience with the same lens will not upset him, and on other threads he doesn't agree with my Canon lenses and that doesn't upset me either.

Okay no problem to me in this case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, did you shoot these with you converted Sony A100?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Ian, did you shoot these with you converted Sony A100?

No, EXIF shows NEX-3.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Ian - close up ones look good - from raw files with a bit of sharpening ? Smile

Excalibur - "anyway why would I want to use it when I have 50mms from Nikon, Canon, Konica, Olympus, Fuji, Minolta, Helios, Pentacon, Pentax etc" - because it will be different !

HDR JPEGS with sharpening using NEX auto HDR which works a treat for indoors with poor light. Outdoor ones at 200ISO, indoors 800ISO which led to visible noise after sharpening.

Pretty sharp lens without sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens look good , the samples look good ,especially the close-ups. I allways wanted to try the Exacta mount lenses . Maybe it's a bit of nolstalgia - in my youth the Exactas were something exquisite . And the Exacta mount CZJ are cheaper than the M42.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on this very nice find. the lens looks brand new.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, a few more:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 'Zebra' on NEX-3 Reply with quote

Nice test
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Wow
Usually I don't enjoy the typical Tessar bokeh and the cold colors but in this case I really like it Smile
The Tessar is a nice piece of photographic history.

I think it's better for monochromic work than for color bye the way.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:45 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Tessar bokeh can be a bit busy but in this case, it's quite nice. I'm looking forward to trying this lens on my converted a200, nice and small, will probably be my walkaround lens.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Tessar is a beauty! Mine will never look like that anymore.
The results in nearby are very good. Tasty tomato!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Ian, thats really shiny lens