Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 1Q M42 (zebra)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: CZJ Tessar 2.8/50 1Q M42 (zebra) Reply with quote

Hi folks

Shot these yesterday when it was warm and sunny, exactly as they came out of the camera, no sharpening, no resizing, just saved as JPGs with PS:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow !
What a dusty sensor you have there ! Smile
Seems a good lens !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dust is in the lens, I cleaned the outer and inner elements which were very dusty/dirty, might have to take it apart to give it a proper clean and relube the helicoid as the focus is very stiff.

It does seem like a decent lens but I have to say, not one of my better 50s imho, my EOS 10D overexposes at least a full stop with this lens for some reason so I've found I have to underexpose by at least a stop.

I'm interested to try a Pancolar or Planar now, see if they really are better than the best 50s I already have (Petri 1.8/55, Oly Zuiko 1.8/50, Pentacon 1.8/50) because this CZJ Tessar doesn't seem to live upto the Zeiss hype I keep hearing imho.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice colors and contrast on this lens.

If you want to see how bad your sensor really is, shoot through a pinhole in a body cap. Horrific usually!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of my favourite lenses , perhaps you might want to adjust the blacks and contrast a tad in PP but my copy is from 1953 and it really delivers the goods.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is sharp and the colors are great, but the aperture blades are sticky as hell so it doesn't get much walkaround use.

I did get good mileage out of it last week. I was asked to scan a bunch of old photos in albums, and rather then trying to pry them all out for scanning I just laid the whole album flat, set up the tripod and shot them in place. I don't know if this lens is any sharper then my Tak 50/1.4, but at least I didn't have to go back and adjust the white balance to compensate for radioactive glass Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Robert.

I do like this lens and I agree, sharpness and colours are both very good.

I didn't know what to expect, I have shot plenty of Tessars before but not an actual Zeiss one, all clones and with this being the zebra version and having the 1Q symbol I thought it might be really good.

I still need to do a side-by-side with my fifties to see which I like best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the bokeh every Tessar-type lens I've met so far... I don't know why... but it's in most cases a little discusting to me Wink

But I like your last pic with thistle anyhow Smile Seems to be a good canditate for a bellows.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know what you mean about Tessar bokeh, it can be quite distracting.

I agree, this ens would seem to be ideal for bellows work. I have a small set of bellows suitable for handholding and I have been using a Helios 44-4 on the bellows, I think I'll be using the Tessar for that purpose instead.

I'll take some pics with it on the bellows when the sun returns.