Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

CS6, RAM, SSD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: CS6, RAM, SSD Reply with quote

Hallo,
I just bought the CS6 Design collection to put on my netbook.
I want know how the difference between having 4Gb and 6Gb is apprezabile?
I understand, reading the manufacturer's specifications, that I can not increase RAM to 8Gb on my pc.
Other option is change the current hard disk (500Gb 5400rpm) with a same size SSD to grow up speed processing.

Thank you
Luca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the difference between SSD and normal HD will be much bigger than an 4-->6GB RAM upgrade. Many motherboards are also loosing dual-channel function when a third RAM is attached. You can upgrade to 6GB but not to 8GB? If you wan't to upgrade the ram, use 2x4GB Dua Channel Ram instead of a third bar (if it's possible with your PC).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only 2 slot for the RAM (actually 2x2Gb).
If I want upgrade it due to ASUS specifications, I replace one bar of 2Gb with one bar of 6Gb of memory. I can't understand if I can use 2x4Gb with my hardware configuration.
The best choice wil be: upgrade RAM at maximun possibility and change the hard disk with SSD, but price wil be too high.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ssd will be better upgrade.
Even if it the OS will need to use pagefile it will be lot faster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just receive an e-mail from ASUS.
I can upgrade memory to 8Gb DDR2 800MHz.

Any suggest about a EU website for hardware componenti buying?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellepi wrote:
I have only 2 slot for the RAM (actually 2x2Gb).
If I want upgrade it due to ASUS specifications, I replace one bar of 2Gb with one bar of 6Gb of memory. I can't understand if I can use 2x4Gb with my hardware configuration.
The best choice wil be: upgrade RAM at maximun possibility and change the hard disk with SSD, but price wil be too high.

You can not buy a 6GB Stick of Ram. You can get either 4GB or 8GB, but not 6GB. The only way to run 8GB on 2 slots is using 2x4GB. You can get 6GB with 1x2GB and 1x 4GB, but You will lose any speed gained by using Dual Channel memory access, which requires 2 sticks of the same specification.

The SSD will make a huge difference in loading times, but do NOT use it as your scratch drive. The constant writing to the drive will spped up it's demise greatly.

I do use an SSD as my scratch disk, but it's for that purpose only (it's 8GB), and I know it will die far quicker than under normal conditions. It does however, make photoshop *far* quicker.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided not to do more to upgrade the notebook.
Increase the RAM is too expensive (at least € 140 to bring 4Gb to 8Gb) and a 300Gb SSD at least has the same economic problem.
I'll wait the SSD price drop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellepi wrote:
If I want upgrade it due to ASUS specifications, I replace one bar of 2Gb with one bar of 6Gb of memory.
6GB bar doesn't exists. Probably you'll have two bars, in 2+4 configuration.
Try ebay.co.uk and look for chinese/taiwan sellers, in most cases they have cheaper prices regarless what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying my computer hardware always at http://www2.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp?lid=2 - ~80€ for mobile 2x4GB 800Mhz DDR2 Cl5 RAM, ~40€ for 4GB