Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Crazy lens prices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Crazy lens prices Reply with quote

I went into town the other day with some lenses that I didn't want, a couple of off brand zooms, a tatty 28 f2.8 and an Orion 15 .

My plan was to go to a camera dealer and off load them onto him. First I went to Cash Generator (pawn shop) where one of my old muckers works, he said they probably weren't worth more than £15 (which I agreed with), but to ask the buyers what they would give. No obligation.

£5 for the Miranda 28, £15 for the Miranda 38-80 zoom and £20 for the Miranda 70-210. Prices based purely on size. The 'expert' said the Orion was worthless.

I took the cash for the 3 lenses and went to the dealer with the Orion 15. He gave me £100 for it, £30 more than I paid for it from that same dealer 5 years ago.

Crazy. I'd have taken 50 for the 4.

Are cheap crappy 70-210 zooms actually worth £20 trade in? I'd expect the shop to try to sell it for at least £35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those prices don't fit with what I would expect. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orion 15 is currently sought after, going for around the £200-250 mark
Must be rare
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean this Orion or this one? Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Must be rare
Tom

There are plenty about and its one of the few lower priced 28s in m39. I've been happy with it except for the abysmal f6 max aperture, I recently bought a voigtlander 28mm f1.9 in ltm. its bigger but it knocks the socks off the orion in terms of quality. I was amazed how expensive these are.

the other lenses i bought from the same pawn shop for average £5 each

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I was amazed how expensive these are.

I believe only because it is able to be used on the M39 Leica. The alternatives have to be much more expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Must be rare
Tom

There are plenty about and its one of the few lower priced 28s in m39. I've been happy with it except for the abysmal f6 max aperture, I recently bought a voigtlander 28mm f1.9 in ltm. its bigger but it knocks the socks off the orion in terms of quality. I was amazed how expensive these are.

the other lenses i bought from the same pawn shop for average £5 each
Like 1