Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Council for 135mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Council for 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

hi, I want to buy a manual focus 135mm for my Canon 450D, are directed to the Zuiko 135mm f2.8 because I also use it on an Olympus OM10 in my possession. But when I saw the Pentacon 135mm f2.8, I'm not so sure of the Zuiko. According to you the Pentacon is a better choice, or can I take the Zuiko without worrying too much?

P.S. i am sorry for my english, i hope you understand me

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good english Smile

I am no expert, but I know that Zuiko lenses are very highly regarded, as are the Pentacon. You can always fit an Olympus mount lens on your Canon, but not the other way around.

I am sorry, I cannot argue the merits of the two 135mm makes. I have a Meyer-Optic 135mm which is, I think the same as the Pentacon (the "bokeh monster") and it is a very good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very confused, I tried to search online if there is a comparison between these two lenses but I have not found, I know that zuiko lenses are good, but I read some good impressions the Pentacon 135mm f2.8 (15 blades) if there is not much difference between the two take the zuiko lenses, but the problem that I find not comparisons ...

on this forum no one has these two lenses and can compare ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pick up the Zuiko so you can use it on your OM10 too. It gets good reviews.

The Pentacon is also a great lens but I don't think one could be decribed as 'better' than the other - they are different.

I picked up a Pentacon for only £15UK so buy one of those later and see what YOU like.

Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon(I have the Meyer Optik version) is a little bit sharper, slightly better contrast and better bokeh than the Olympus's, at least for the copies I have. And usually the Pentacon(Meyer) is cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both lenses (Pentacon and Zuiko) and I can say the Zuiko seems and feels better.

Both lenses suffer from a bit CA wide open but the Zuiko is sharper and it's handling is by far better (sturdier body and aperture ring).

What must also be noted is that Olympus had (and has) great quality control which means that it is highly unlikely to get a bad copy of a Zuiko.

Also, from my limited experience with MF lenses (compared to many others in this forum) Meyer-Optik branded lenses seem to be of better quality than their Pentacon equivalents. So if I was looking for an East-German lens, i would seek for the Meyer-Optik one.

Last, but not least, consider the Mamiya 135mm f2.8. My buddy has one and it's absolutely fantastic. Sharp enough wide open and a joy to handle.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Council for 135mm f2.8 Reply with quote

A.Loukas wrote:
hi, I want to buy a manual focus 135mm for my Canon 450D, are directed to the Zuiko 135mm f2.8 because I also use it on an Olympus OM10 in my possession. But when I saw the Pentacon 135mm f2.8, I'm not so sure of the Zuiko. According to you the Pentacon is a better choice, or can I take the Zuiko without worrying too much?

P.S. i am sorry for my english, i hope you understand me

For bang per buck...you should put the Vivitar 135mm f2.8 on your list (my copy is sharp), also I have seen some good 3d effects from a Hoya 135mm, but I don't own one and haven't tested it for myself.