Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosmicar 1.8/50 with triangular aperture
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:06 pm    Post subject: Cosmicar 1.8/50 with triangular aperture Reply with quote

In the previous years, the f1.4 variety of Cosmicars is discussed in-depth on the forum, while there is no thread dedicated to Cosmicar 1.8/50. The latter is another a C-mount CCTV lens with triangular aperture which can be fully closed. To fill in the gap, here are several shots taken with it put on Sony Nex.

The lens draws sharply, with nice colour rendition, giving also some swirl and vignetting. In appropriate conditions the bokeh shows jolly triangles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more shots in progressively fading light.

#1 WO at MFD. In fact, I forgot to mention in the first post that the MFD is a shortcoming feature of the lens, given it makes around 80cm.

#2 WO it works with small vignetting, like in this shot. Closed to f5.6, the lens vignettes more.

#3 It renders well in twilight and lets the sensor keep a lot of information for pulling shadows.

#4 SOOC jpeg

#5 The Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris is still being reconstructed after it burnt in 2019. Another SOOC jpeg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an interesting art lens to me, most notably in #1 of both series 👍

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your note!

The lens is also great for pectoral portraits on APS-C, as it separates wel the main subject and creates an airy background. I don't post any for the privacy concern.

A BW or light sepia conversion turns out well "saturated", I think thanks to the quality of the glass, and small vignetting adds even more character. All shots are taken at apertures from WO to f2.8. The #4 and #5 are taken in very dark natural light contrasted by strong artificial one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love #1 of your last series 👍

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to show the vignetting with different aperture values I mentioned earlier.

#1 WO SOOC jpg

#2 f5.6 SOOC jpg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
I think thanks to the quality of the glass, and small vignetting adds even more character.

I am aware of this on a couple of my legacy moderate wide-angles, as long as the vignette effect is slight.
It actually makes for some interesting images if utilized with a bit of fore-thought.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherwise you have a chance to discover some advantages of the vignetting in post-processing. When you push contrast a bit, the slight and barely visible vignetting reveals itself as a more dramatic though a non-invasive inner frame. I know it is not the universal taste, but I like irregular corners (darkened or dissolved) even in landscapes, which translate a kind of "organic" feeling of human gaze.

The shots that follow are not a direct illustration of the idea. They are simple snapshots that seem to gain some expression from pushing the contrast, and thus with more vignetting, at least in #1.