Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

cosinon 55mm 1.4 vs konica AR 50mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: cosinon 55mm 1.4 vs konica AR 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

I'm in a bit a bit of a dilemma, I've been using a Konica lens for quite a while, I absolutely love it but I feel the need to expand to a different reasonable fast lens!

with all the talk over the tomioka designed mamiya/cosinon lenses I would like some opinions regarding if it would be worth while spending the money buying one compared to the Konica?

I really do love the Konica but feel its a bit clinical/almost too good oof wants me to look at some other more interesting options!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a Super Reflecta 55/1.4 (same thing) and that glowed a lot wide open, if it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses. Cosinon sharpness start at f2 but konica sharpness start at f 1.4 Cool
Cosinon bokeh characteristic is more attractive for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that Konica is going to be hard to beat, it also has glow wide open but its actually usable for certain shots as it can add that specific effect when needed and not ruin what you are trying to capture.

I can't faulter the lens on anything, its brilliant!! I've tried the tak 50mm 1.4 8 element and it didn't compete and it performs better than any of the 50mm 1.7's I've tried but that's not many!!

to put into perspective I do also have a yashinon ds 50mm 1.9 which is ok and a Helios 44 6 and 2 which I also don't use much.

I don't want to really buy lenses for myself that won't get used but any other suggestions for semi fast well priced 50's would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Cosina was better than Konica or at least same good.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Revunon 55/1.4 I think (not sure if it's the same) and it was maybe slightly better than the 5X/1.4 Konica I had, but not very much if at all. Anyway both were slightly boring and no keepers for me, just like dozen other 50ies. I stayed with my Minolta 50/1.4 and 50/2 until I first had a few much more interesting and much better (and also much more expensive) lenses (Summicron-M 50/2 for example) and now finally switched to FF and the Sonnar 55/1.8 [AF] which is so damn good that I will keep for a long time.

If you wan't something more interesting you should look for Meyer Domiron 50/2 or Minolta 58/1.2 for example Smile
They are not as cheap but can be sometimes had for 200€ or less.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an auto mamiya sekor 1.4/55 and an auto revuenon 1.4/55, (both with flat rear element, and both perform the same, so I assume it's the same design), and I like them. They're more or less on par with the "good" old 50/1.4 I have, and the revuenon can be had for a fraction of the price, so good deal.
But the more lenses I try, the more I like my MC Rokkor PG.
It is sharp enough (for me) at all apertures and it has that bit of character that makes me choose it often over the others.

Last edited by Aanything on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OM 50/1.4 is quite good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed that glow on the Konica, it's probably just fringing but in a white color lol. i have to stop it down everytime i use it, 1 click down make it really sharp though, and no more glow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for all the suggestions fellows, its really got me thinking if i should start considering "slower" lenses as a viable option
ForenSeil wrote:
I had an Revunon 55/1.4 I think (not sure if it's the same) and it was maybe slightly better than the 5X/1.4 Konica I had, but not very much if at all. Anyway both were slightly boring and no keepers for me, just like dozen other 50ies. I stayed with my Minolta 50/1.4 and 50/2 until I first had a few much more interesting and much better (and also much more expensive) lenses (Summicron-M 50/2 for example) and now finally switched to FF and the Sonnar 55/1.8 [AF] which is so damn good that I will keep for a long time.

If you wan't something more interesting you should look for Meyer Domiron 50/2 or Minolta 58/1.2 for example Smile
They are not as cheap but can be sometimes had for 200€ or less.

forenseil, I do agree regarding the Minolta 58 1.2 I had one for a couple of days but had to sell it financial reasons at the time, it renders very well and the oof areas where as everyone says buttery smooth:) the only thing that deterred me was the weight.

from what I've read a lot of people like the minolta 1.4's but I have limited knowledge regarding them and the different versions, the PG's get mentioned the most it seems so I'll keep my eyes open.

BTW that domiron seems quite scarce even on the bay but you never know when one might pop up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:
i noticed that glow on the Konica, it's probably just fringing but in a white color lol. i have to stop it down everytime i use it, 1 click down make it really sharp though, and no more glow.

I would say this is quite normal for this lens, its a nice effect for some portraits.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
Many thanks for all the suggestions fellows, its really got me thinking if i should start considering "slower" lenses as a viable option

I much prefer the circular oof highlights to be round instead of having e.g. hexagon shape. For photos with circular highlights therefore prefer to use a lens wide open or a lens that has many blades and the circular highlight still appears round even if stopped down a bit. I like to play with bokeh but don't particularly like very thin dof! In other words I have developed a liking for slow lenses, specially old ones with many blades ( and I am in no rush to get a FF )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see your point, I tend to have a problem with stopping lenses down Very Happy so I sometimes don't get the right dof for the picture!!

any suggestions, remember price is key for me....the most expensive lens I have kept is a $70 25mm switar I was lucky to find.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well..my suggestion would be Auto Takumar 2/55..a copy of which I am selling for 45 Euro + shipping Embarassed
but if not in Europe you may find one even a bit cheaper!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we have them pop up quite often down here for cheap, I did have a 55mm 1.8 that I liked very much and regretted selling it, maybe i should shop around for one again. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: cosinon 55mm 1.4 vs konica AR 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
I really do love the Konica but feel its a bit clinical/almost too good oof wants me to look at some other more interesting options!

you could try Jupiter 3.. it has a very different character.. it's far from clinical

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clockwork247 wrote:

Do you use a lenshood? It seems to reduce the glow somewhat. F1.4 is usable, but often needs a bump in contrast and/or definition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawit wrote:
clockwork247 wrote:

Do you use a lenshood? It seems to reduce the glow somewhat. F1.4 is usable, but often needs a bump in contrast and/or definition.

no lens hood, but thats a good idea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many f/1.4 lenses, Konica, Minolta, Rikenon and the Revuenon 1.4/55 (with flat rear element).

The Revuenon is very good, see these samples, second is a crop of first, shot at f/1.4, wide open. (Canon 5D)
And yes, they can be had for little money!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: cosinon 55mm 1.4 vs konica AR 50mm 1.4 Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
Layer-cake wrote:

you could try Jupiter 3.. it has a very different character.. it's far from clinical

I actually know a guy I might be able to borrow one from so I think I'll give it a try. Thanks Tedat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
I have many f/1.4 lenses, Konica, Minolta, Rikenon and the Revuenon 1.4/55 (with flat rear element).

The Revuenon is very good, see these samples, second is a crop of first, shot at f/1.4, wide open. (Canon 5D)
And yes, they can be had for little money!

They do vary alot in prices regarding the different manufacturers, The amount of glow at 1.4 is very minimal on your copy which I like Smile

How would you compare it to the Rokkor and Konica if you dont mind me asking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:

How would you compare it to the Rokkor and Konica if you dont mind me asking.

I don't mind! Wink

Well, both Konica and Minolta lenses are only suitable on my NEX, so i mostly use them on film bodies and shoot film. One day i will buy a Sony A7.....

The M42 lenses i can use on the full-frame 5D. This Revuenon is a very good copy, i've had a few that had more glow and less sharpness wide open, so one could say that some copy variation is present. The Rikenon has a different built, but i suspect it's the same lens, although it renders differently wide open.

Actually i never compared them side by side, shooting the same items, for testing purposes. If i had a bit more time i might do it one day!

The Konica and especially the Minolta lenses have great colors and superior bokeh.

Here are my Minolta f/1.4 lenses, 5 different ones:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From those did experience different levels of disortion ( barrel) on FF ?
My MC PG tends to have too much for my liking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a sweet collection you got there, the metal scalloped focus ring on that PF looks nice, the 58mm 1.2 had the same, it adds weight but has a good quality feel to it.

I seem to base quite a bit of my lens choices on their physical design, a bit more of a equipment junkie than a photographer!!

I've brought this up before but I also have a yashica electro lens that I converted to MFT, honestly I think it could possibly be the best lens other than the Minolta 1.2 that I've ever used, it doesn't get put into my carry nag too often because its shortest focus distance is about 1m but maybe I should make some space for it