Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina Auto-Topcor 58/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Cosina Auto-Topcor 58/1.4 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am the not-so-happy owner of Cosina made Auto-Topcor 58/1.4 m42 lens (see the new copy for crazy $$ here https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtlander-slr-lenses/voigtlander-58mm-sli-58/1.4-topcor-pentax-m42-lens/). I am not very happy, because I shoot Pentax DSLR and this lens is not quite compatible. It was easy to fix aperture pin that is a bit too long, but the lens mount around m42 screw is made from plastic (probably, the only plastic part of the lens), that is so glossy that m42-K adapter does not fix. I think the same problem would be using this lens with any non-m42 camera. So it makes almost useless for me.

So I am thinking what to do. The lens is an absolute beauty. The picture is probably the same as Cosina Voightlander Nokton 58/1.4, but mechanics is absolutely superb.

I have following options on the table.
1. Sell it and forget :)
2. Convert to K-mount without aperture control.
3. Find VL Nokton 58/1.4 for parts and somehow put the aperture mechanism in.
4. Buy m42 camera, e.g. matching Cosina's Bessaflex. Too bad there are no m42 DSLRs...

What would you recommend?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for a Voigtlander SLII 58/1.4 Nokton in PK mount with automatic aperture control.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I would go for a Voigtlander SLII 58/1.4 Nokton in PK mount with automatic aperture control.

I tried it twice and sold it twice :) Somehow I like this lens more in Topcor dress.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of the problem. If it is already in M42 mount, why not simply use the M42-PK adapter/ (I must be missing something about this lens' operation perhaps).
Anyhow from the link that you gave, it is a rare lens and will sell for $$$.
Have you considered selling it and buying a Cosinon 1.2/55 in PK mount.
They sell for less than the asking price of the listing shown.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you cam pay SK Grimes for a machining project to make an all-metal mount for the lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

If it is already in M42 mount, why not simply use the M42-PK adapter

Have you considered selling it and buying a Cosinon 1.2/55 in PK mount.

Yes, I used it with an adapter, but the adapter does not fix well on this particular lens.

I had multiple Cosina 55/1.2 clones, and kept Vivitar one. I do have Tomioka Cosinon 55/1.2 m42 as well, that is spectacular lens. Somehow I like rare lenses )

In fact Cosina 58/1.4 lenses have the similar rendering to Cosina 55/1.2 lenses, they probably share the similar lens design.