Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Correct lens for Konica T3n
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Correct lens for Konica T3n Reply with quote

HI all,

Calling all Konica experts.

I am preparing to part company with a Konica T3n I haven't used in years. Not being a Konica person, I picked it up with Nikon, Praktica (M42), and Exakta adapters, intending to use it as a modern "universal" body. This was in pre-digital days. I would like to sell it with a normal lens attached, but I don't know which of the Konica normals is correct for this body. I have a decent Hexanon
AR 52mm f/1.8. Is that of the same vintage? Thanks in advance for any help. Pics below.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's older, you need the 1.7/50.

However, the 1.7/50 is one of the very best 50mms you can buy, so sell it without a lens, the 1.7/50 is worth keeping.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was fast! Thanks Ian,

You have diagnosed my problem. I say I am going to buy a lens in order to sell it, but I just end up keeping it! Maybe that's how harems get started.

Is this the one you mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the one, I have it, awesome lens, one of my very favourite 50s.

Honestly, I think people who are shopping for a T3N are looking for a body to use with their existing collection of Konica lenses, so selling yours without a lens will not cause you any difficulties I think.

Shame you're in the US, I would like a T3N. Good luck with your sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Ian.

I think I'll take your advice.

It is indeed a sweet camera. It is rugged and has one of the sharpest and easiest focus screens I have ever used. My copy simply has a nice microprism in the center - no split image rangefinder. In picking it up today I noted how the screen snaps into focus. I seem to recall that not long after I purchased it, the PX-675 mercury batteries were no longer easily available and I found the zinc/air Wein cells unreliable.

Jeez, I've almost convinced myself not to get rid of it! Cool Cool

If I do decide to go through with the sale, I'll post in marketplace before I list it.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used two konica t3 one black and the other chrome.

Lenses? Well. A nice three: 2,8/24, 1,7/50 (the oldest with small letters and numbers in the front ring) and the 1,8/85. My zoom 70/150 f/4 was a good one).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the microprsim screens are nice, but the split image ones are better for my eyes, my Autoreflex T has the microrpism, but all my other Konica SLRs have the split image..

You had some great lenses there Juan, the 28/24 is one of my all-time favourite lenses, I was using mine only yesterday. I agree the 4/70-150 is a very good lens, I also have a mint condition Kiron 4/70-150 in Konica mount and the Konica is a better lens, it is also smaller and lighter. The Kiron is one of the better 70-150s, so I think that shows the Konica is right at the top of the tree. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct lens for Konica T3n Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
HI all,

Calling all Konica experts.

I am preparing to part company with a Konica T3n I haven't used in years. Not being a Konica person, I picked it up with Nikon, Praktica (M42), and Exakta adapters, intending to use it as a modern "universal" body. This was in pre-digital days. I would like to sell it with a normal lens attached, but I don't know which of the Konica normals is correct for this body. I have a decent Hexanon
AR 52mm f/1.8. Is that of the same vintage? Thanks in advance for any help. Pics below.

Paul

Hi Paul,

The 50/1.7 shown on your picture is not the same vintage as the T3N, if this really matters. The one on your picture was introduced a year after the T3N, and was usually offered with the Autoreflex TC, a somewhat smaller and lighter SLR introduced in 1976. The 50/1.7 usually associated with the T3N (and the T3) was the older, larger model. You can see one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-Hexanon-AR-50mm-f1-7-/281131832799?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4174c355df

As to your 52/1.8, the version with the aluminum ring and small lettering on the front ring dates from the period from 1967 to 1970 and was offered with the Autoreflex T, first version.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aah, I thought the T3N was late enough to have the second version of the 1.7/50 with it, thanks for the correction. I have the first version of the 1.7/50 and you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers cos it's bloody wonderful! lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated Koni and Ian - great info.

All the best,

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are most welcome, Paul.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, just to make sure I have it correct. In the image below, the lens pictured in the middle would be correct for the T3N and Ian's jewel is like the one at the top?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the first two there are the same lens, just some minor barrel changes such as the move from EE to AE markings.

Yes, the one I dearly love is the first one, you can spot it because it is longer and the front element is quite deeply recessed. Can't remember if mine is EE or AE now. I think you're right about the AE being contemporaneous to your T3N.

I've never had a copy of the second version to know how it compares. I do have the later 1.8/50 and it's a very good lens, sharp wide open, but doesn't reach the heights of the 1.7/50 overall.