Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Controversial Contax IV/Kiev IV still awaited .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Controversial Contax IV/Kiev IV still awaited . Reply with quote

An unusual Contax / Kiev story .

An autistic glitch is rigid . Rarely , hands and eyes combine to make something ' real ' .
Neither can I delete old inappropriate files and create new , so in a very ' real ' sense it's like bewildering that it's not still 1957 when I was 10 .

Something is either RIGHT or WRONG , binary . I tend to see shapes and profiles to recognise an object , whereas most categorise things by the abstract concept of useage / function . Of course , I have learned both to do this and apply it , but it does not stop leica II being RIGHT and the seemingly similar , but ' not 'same ' Leica IIIc being disturbing ... ' what is it ? '' still shadowiing intelligence .
Somewhat amusingly , a Fed Leica copy camera is RIGHT LOL
I also love consistency and continuity .

I kinda see in snapshots , like a shutter going off , whereas people tend to join it all together to make a film .

Cameras have always been a fascination making magic pictures on the wall [ slides ] and the lenses reflecting and sparkling mysteriously .A camera has been and is something to hide behind and avoid joining in , also , it enables me to focus on one point , the finder cutting out the periphery which threatens to overwhelm me .

That 1971 SLR with it's 50mm lens taught me to see in 50mm , to ignore the periphery . I see details others overide , but looking at a ' car ' I my mind sees ' car ' from all directions , as if ' stored ' pictures are as ' now ' as current pictures . A bit like that idea of pasting hundreds of pics of that car on the wall and the resultant fragmentation . Only holding / seeing an accurate model of ' car ' in my hand creates any sense of the entirety of ' car '.

I coped with an SLR and 45/50/55 mm lens , but I begin to be discomforted by a vague distortion with wide angles from 35mm .
The age of the 35-80 zoom made things more odd , in retrospect , it's 'cos both focus and zooming isn't constant , what I am seeing isn't consistent .

But I never got into rangefinders until , in 2006 , I played with a Leica II / Zorki I , and it was so familiar . Other similar experiences have led me to the conclusion that child me played with one at some time , and it became real . Recycling 50s Dinky Toys on e-bay gathered silly , secret money to indulge in new comfort toys .

What I love about a rangfinder is that the image remains constant , no changes from auto-focus , aperture , etc , which helps enormously .

Nothing. however , could compare me for the impact of a pair of Kiev 4 and 4m from wizard Oleg with new meter cells .
This was THE CAMERA to me .
I love the selenium meter , handling is second nature .
I have no idea when and how , I encountered a Contax , I guess it would not have been a Kiev in UK in the 50s . But I certainly hang out at TOE the USSR importers in the 60s, and now have a mint boxed 1979 TOE Kiev 4 [ of course ! ]

But there is a problem - I have dyslexia with Cyrillic script [ and Wales ! ] and the Contax II / III body shape is ' real ' and the modified Kiev is disturbing .

A strange effect is that I can cope with minor differences around the same basic profile - variants of THE RT BUS / SCHOOL BUS etc - so Contax II and III are OK . I love ' sets ' of these derivative , safe , ' toys '.

KNeB block script on my 1951 and 1952 KNeB IIs and 1954 KneB III seems OK , as does Contax .
But the Kiev 4 profile , maybe reminiscent o an SLR with it's compact meter ' pentaprism ' is by ar the most RIGHT

However , a clasic Contax seemed out of my reach until I found around 2010 , that scrap Contax cameras were no more than a Kiev .

I had sourced an agent in Kiev who could ask ex-Arsenal techs who had bult Kievs to restore Kievs . Contax was new to them but they created a superb Kontax from a £40 box of Contax parts and a ' new/old stock ' Kiev IIa shutter . They saved the rear leather with it's Zeiss logo , with new almost matching front leather .I was amazed that they had saved all of the controls .

I love this camera 'cos I have identity issues and love the continuity from 1935 to 1955 to 2010 . Also , that this camera , made from parts from two Contax II/II and Kiev II is new for me , especially with a Jupiter 3 , 1959 glass in 1935 Contax mount gifted to me by Brian Sweeney lens guru .

They also restored a Contax III , in the event I had to buy a second wreck to fix the meter . I am told that the guys loved the challenge .

I then decided to have them create two ' sets ' of Contax II/III/IV and KNeB II/III/IV using the dead Contax III body , a rough Kiev IIIa with rare and early Kiev 4 top plates without ridges to the meter cover , just like the post war Contax , with new meter cells . A spare KNeB facsia plate completed the KNeB trio .

These 1957/8 Kiev 4s were better finished than the later versions 'cos the engineers wanted to impress their Soviet masters who had insisted on updating , simplifying the camera . Indeed , if history did repeat itself , the new models would have been gifted to Party faithful .
Unfortnately , the new back copied from the later Contax married to the old body created some potential film flaltness.
Luckily few know of the signiicance of these early Kievs so I was able to source 3x non-working , pretty rough examples two of which ,which I am told , have polished up beautifully to enhance their new identities .

The hybrid old body / new K 4 top plate is not unheard of in that it is known that Arsenal Techs moonlighted with ' borrowed ' parts and locals with a considerable investment in a camera would either update to Kiev 4 if the K III meter died , or even , heaven forbid to Western sensibilities , add a meter to a Kiev IIa ! Maybe some just wanted to upgrade to the modern style witout the considerabe expense , and waiting time , for a new Kiev which would be issued by rota .

Unfortunately , personal difficulties and emergency health needs in Ukraine mean't that these cameras , though fully paid for , were never returned .
However , I have now been assured that I will receive them shortly . I know that they are finished 'cos I have seen pics of them .

These were my last ever pay pal purchases - with retirement this year , no more ' toys ' , but even having around me is reassuring , so I hope to have my two ' sets ' gathehered in .

Thanks

dee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will eventually get the cameras . . .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
I hope you will eventually get the cameras . . .

+1