Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Zeiss 35mm 1.4 question.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Contax Zeiss 35mm 1.4 question. Reply with quote

Hello all.

I own 50mm and 28mm f2 which is amazing. Recently I bought 35mm 1.4 and thats why I am writing to you to pick your brain. The example I got regarding the glass is perfect, strangely perfect for such an old lens (AEG). The build quality on the other hand of my 35mm is totally different in terms of the feel compared to 28mm which is a rock.

The 35mm I got has a disturbing movement in the focusing ring (something common in zoom lenses) as well in the aperture ring. The movement when you try and move it forward or to left or right - it clicks, and there is a 1mm maybe 2mm movement. It is pretty annoying. You can actually feel/hear is just even picking the lens up and holding it in your hand. It has no impact on the photos just the experience and it dose not feel like the experience from 28mm f2 or 50mm 1.4

If anyone here owns a copy of 35mm 1.4 (AEG or MM) and could check their build quality. Maybe it is a characteristic those 35mm have?

here is a clip with the aperture ring sound it feels really plasticky:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oyg1TMd8kDdHY0YkFCYmV6Zlk/view?usp=sharing

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such problem in my 2 copies, surely it is less easier to turn due the big chunk of glass (comparing to smaller lenses).

I would say build quality same as my other C/Y zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see thank you.
I found that issue with the mount it doesn't look good.

picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oyg1TMd8kDTEpibXhhMk0wWFE/view?usp=sharing

and here is a sound sample of the aperture ring:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oyg1TMd8kDdHY0YkFCYmV6Zlk/view?usp=sharing

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77
would you return such a lens?
I paid a lot for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding return:

1) I would contact every seller if lens has a unknown fault, esp. when it is an expensive lens-it is your hard earn money and prices are very high for this lens

2) However it depends how this fault bothers you, if it bothers you when using this lens-even when not affecting the quality of pictures- that's not good, isn't it? and might get worse...

3) more concerning is the question if anybody dissasambled the lens before or if it was dropped.

p.s usually the build quality of this c/y zeisses is very good

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must be no problem with built quality with any Carl Zeiss lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
must be no problem with built quality with any Carl Zeiss lenses.

The build quality of all Contax Zeiss I know is stellar. One of the best I know.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
regarding return:

1) I would contact every seller if lens has a unknown fault, esp. when it is an expensive lens-it is your hard earn money and prices are very high for this lens

2) However it depends how this fault bothers you, if it bothers you when using this lens-even when not affecting the quality of pictures- that's not good, isn't it? and might get worse...

3) more concerning is the question if anybody dissasambled the lens before or if it was dropped.

p.s usually the build quality of this c/y zeisses is very good

Thank you.
I made a request to return the item on eBay.
You are right they are very expensive and honestly I would mind if it had scratches on the body but rattling and wobbly parts is a no no for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a version of this lens ( west germany ).
the focus ring move nicely without problem. the last year i had to regrease completly the focus because it block but now ok.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My west german AE model has a very small amount of play in the front filter section. Focus ring and aperture ring are both perfectly smooth with zero play.