Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Distagon 2.8/28 vs Jena 2.8/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart, how did you manage to mount the PB version of the CZJ 28/2.8 on your 5D II? I'd love to do some comparisons with the Distagon, but none of my PB lenses reach infinity with the Canon adapter. I guess I could try it on the Nex (if I bought a PB infinity adapter), but I much prefer to see a lens performing as it should on full frame Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice samples Pancolart. Slovenia looks quite like northern Italy to my eyes.

I have never tried the Distagon but I have the Pentacon 2.8/28 and had the Orestegon 2.8/29.

My opinion is that the 29, if a good copy, is a very good lens. However, the 28 is better, I think the 28 is a top lens.

Thanks. It borders Northern Italy, though Celje (on photos) is more central. I never tried Distagon either. We can wait Graham to compare.

I agree 28mm is better then 29mm. Edge to edge sharpness for sure. Practically no CA.

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Pancolart, how did you manage to mount the PB version of the CZJ 28/2.8 on your 5D II? I'd love to do some comparisons with the Distagon, but none of my PB lenses reach infinity with the Canon adapter. I guess I could try it on the Nex (if I bought a PB infinity adapter), but I much prefer to see a lens performing as it should on full frame Smile

To reach infinity just unscrew 3 tiny screws on focusing ring (distance scale) to release it. On this metal version they are outside of the barrel and immediately reachable. Then adjust infinity and screw them back. On mkII Liveview is required. But mirror hits only by thin hair, thus trimming a bit of the last element holder would suffice. Let me know if you don't have such metal version.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can shave your adapter like the right one in this photo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothng better than the Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* as far as 28mm primes go but its not as cheap as it used to be...If you can afford the Distagon, a very cheap sustitute worth considering is the Carl Zeiss Jena 29mm f2.8 MC...A bone fide East German Zeiss Jena. And while it cant match the the Japanese Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T* for sharpness, its actually pretty good for a cheap M42 lens.

Here is a 100% crop from the CZJ 29mm @ f2.8 (The sharper the lens the greater the Moire):

And here is one from the Distagon @ f2.8:

And just to show how good they are here is one from a Sirius 28mm f2.8 Macro @ f2.8:

Last edited by DSG on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the tips, I'll check the Prakticar tomorrow.

DSG - isn't the CZJ 29/2.8 just a rebranded Pentacon? My 7th copy of the Pentacon is excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

DSG - isn't the CZJ 29/2.8 just a rebranded Pentacon? My 7th copy of the Pentacon is excellent.

Graham, if you want a Praktica 2.8/28 to play with,I have a slightly abused one you can have for the postage, it works fine, just I took it apart to fix the aperture ages ago and had to remove all the electrical bits, it is fully working, just one sot of coating missing on the front, takes good pics.

I rate the Pentacon 2.8/28 a little it higher than the 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegor/Pentacon, although the Orestegor I had was pretty damn good.

The best 28 I have tried (and I must have shot 20 different ones now) is the Konica Hexanon 3.5/28 earlier EE version with 7 elements, it's really really good, sharp as a razor, great colours and contrast, some 3D pop, pleasant bokeh.

Other 28 I highly recommend is the Tokina RMC/Hoya HMC 2.8/28, it has the best bokeh of any 28 I've tried and has excellent coatings, pretty sharp too, colours are very vivid.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian, many thanks for the kind offer. I'll attempt a non-destructive fix on my CZJ Prakticar first (same lens as yours) but give you a shout if I get stuck Smile

BTW I owned the Hoya 24/2.8 before, it was great for closeups but struggled in the corners at infinity on ff. Damn good value though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Hi Ian, many thanks for the kind offer. I'll attempt a non-destructive fix on my CZJ Prakticar first (same lens as yours) but give you a shout if I get stuck Smile

BTW I owned the Hoya 24/2.8 before, it was great for closeups but struggled in the corners at infinity on ff. Damn good value though!

Not tried mine on FF, only on NEX, where it does a good job, rarely use it though as I have a Hexanon 24mm as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

It is possible but I cant be sure without seeing an optical diagram...I just read a review for it and the reviewer was'nt sure either.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen the 2.8/29 with CZJ labelling, it's the same lens as the Pentacon/Meyer Orestegor, looks identical apart from the letters.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, I have seen the 2.8/29 with CZJ labelling, it's the same lens as the Pentacon/Meyer Orestegor, looks identical apart from the letters.

Mine is not identical to any of these:

Mine is mint and looks like it was made very recently.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the late M42 Pentacon 29/2.8:

And here's the even later Carl Zeiss Jena P (Pentacon) labelled version:

I suspect the CZJ labelled version was built after the PB mount lenses had made an appearance, as the PB lenses which were labelled CZJ, but were actually Pentacons also had a P after the name on the ring.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Here's the late M42 Pentacon 29/2.8:

And here's the even later Carl Zeiss Jena P (Pentacon) labelled version:

Thats the one!...I had'nt noticed the P on the front ring of mine before, then I went and checked mine again after seeing your pic...BTW, I just noticed another possible distinguishing feature...On the late Pentacon Multi pic, which indeed seems otherwise identcal to the late CZJ P version, the red dot next to the red index line on the Pentacon appears to be more of an oval shape whereas the one on the CZJ is a normal round dot. But perhaps this is due to the angle the dot was shot at on the Pentacon? If you have the Pentacon could you check this out for me?

Last edited by DSG on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked and the dot is round, like the CZJ branded version. The font on the front is different though of course.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to compare the Distagon 28/2.8 and the zuiko 28/2. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both of these. The Zuiko is a nice, small lens, but has less contrast and pop than the Distagon. Still an excellent lens though, and with a fast maximum aperture.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0ovice wrote:
I'd like to compare the Distagon 28/2.8 and the zuiko 28/2. Any ideas?

I stayed with the Zuiko.
Floating element is better in close range focus, One stop Faster, smaller size. front aperture ring.
It's just as sharp and high resolves.
Yes, as Graham points out it is lower contrast I would argue it has great 3D but does not have the Zeiss high Contrast 3D.
For Digital use I prefer that and consider it an advantage. One can always increase contrast in post. Reducing Contrast is less successful.
You can not go wrong with either lens imo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say the Zuiko 28/2.8 is sharper than the F/2. What do you guys think?