Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax AX slr
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Contax AX slr Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of using this camera? It incorporated an autofocus mechanism in the body itself the moved the film plane back and forward +/-10mm to allow mf Zeiss lenses to remain unchanged. It seems to me the body would need to be fairly wide but would that help or hinder? Probably depends on your hand size.
I'm new to digital wizardry but would it be possible for Contax or others to issue a digital version today? I am intrigued by the idea of a camera with the ability to take most mf lenses available and offer an af mode if required,imagine a souped up A7 with this feature..with it's bigger size it would also improve handling hopefully. Shall we see a Sony/Zeiss/Contax hybrid in the next couple of years?
I don't know if digital sensor's can or will react in the same way as a film platform would, it may be impossible due to the natural differences between film and digital, others far more versed in all this will be better informed.

Contax AX : http://www.h1photo.com/131000.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason why that sort of system couldn't be incorporated with a digital sensor in mind.

I suspect its a question of market tho. And for that reason i cant see how it would happen. Surely a small flange allowing the user to add adapters as he or she wishes is just as useful?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea had been discussed in other forums before.

We have image stabilizer in Pentax, sony alpha, olympus, and perhaps more.
The sensor can be shifted in many directions (x-y-z-rotation) that can be used for this purpose.
It is also possible to tilt sensor similar as tilt lenses. Technically both tilt and shift is possible in side a camera body.

The challenge is how we/human can command the camera to tilt and/or shift which dimension and how much,
or if the camera can self-analyze the scene and select the optimall tilt/shift value, and should combine with image stabilizing.

One can patent the process and/or the algorithm, the gui design, and make big money Smile

I haven't use the AX, but I have RTS iii which is an awesome camera. My best film body ever.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used the AX for awhile before i left the slr world for rangefinder. what an incredibke piece of engineering and a joy to use with the awesome contax zeiss lenses. i dont know if you are thinking of getting one, but if you are, im sure you will love it.

as for digital version, i read several pieces over the last year that intimated sony was working on a mirrorless that would autofocus pretty much any mount manual focus lens. havent heard anything about it since the A7 came out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
i used the AX for awhile before i left the slr world for rangefinder. what an incredibke piece of engineering and a joy to use with the awesome contax zeiss lenses. i dont know if you are thinking of getting one, but if you are, im sure you will love it.

as for digital version, i read several pieces over the last year that intimated sony was working on a mirrorless that would autofocus pretty much any mount manual focus lens. havent heard anything about it since the A7 came out.

That's interesting to know, I've never used a Contax but they get praised often enough, particularly the high end models.The best film camera I used was an F4s I bought second hand and much abused, it never missed a beat. The second best are the old mechanical models, F1,FTBn,EF,F2,T3,OM1 etc. Lovely but film costs too much now so these gather dust on the shelf.
Anyway, back to the future, I look forward to this coming true at some point, and, if they put minimal buttons and fancy menus even better. Leave that to the home computer, one day, one day. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax AX slr Reply with quote

cyrano wrote:
...would it be possible for Contax or others to issue a digital version today?

It would be a dream camera for the users of MF lenses and, technically speaking, it could be made.
I'm confident that in the near future it will see the light but, unfortunately, there is no way that Contax would produce it (there is no Contax anymore). Probably Sony...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm still dreaming of a digital FF Contax/ Kyocera whatever camera.

Ok, this brand has appealed me since years. I bought numerous cameras since i started, and now sticked only with Contaxes. Great design, light and pretty rare.

So far i had in order on appereance : 139, RTS, RX, Aria, 159, S2, RTS II

i kept the Aria, maybe the best of them, the RX, 139, RTS II. The Zeiss lenses on them are quite a match

as for the AX, i'm still hesitating, because of the weight. That said i have a 1ds which is all but lightweight

but i think i'll go for it Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a contax AX, autofocus works well. it is bulky, big and heavy but it goes well in my hand, and i do not have big hands.
an interesting feature, you can use the body as a ten minimeters extension ring.

is it impossible to make digital backs for premium film slr ?

contax made a full frame digital slr with the N digital, AF mount from the N series.