Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contaflex 126 Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Contaflex 126 Images Reply with quote

One thing I've found with the Zeiss Ikon Contaflex 126 and its lenses is that focus is super-critical. I'm not sure why, but I have to have it "right on" or it seems way out of focus. Shocked

My scanning is slowly improving. I use the 35mm carrier for these 28x28mm negatives.

I think that the Ferrania film has a good "look" for portraiture. It is not a high contrast film. On the other hand, good old Kodacolor is nice too, and one of these is taken with expired Kodacolor cartridge, but it didn't seem to hurt anything as far as I can tell.

The girl in the portraits is an "animal rescue" worker, and she is a sweet girl and always seems so happy.

Contaflex 126
Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8
Ferrania film

Contaflex 126
Zeiss Pantar 45/2.8
Kodacolor (expired August 1992)

Contaflex 126
Zeiss Pantar 45/2.8
Ferrania film

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are great shots, the portrait is superb! I'm sure the girl would be
pleased if you presented this to her!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Both are great shots, the portrait is superb! I'm sure the girl would be
pleased if you presented this to her!

Bill

My thoughts exactly! My wife told me I "had better" render a print for the girl! Very Happy

I will scan tomorrow at high resolution and 16.25x16.25 print @300dpi, should be a nice big file with lots of room to tweak anything that might need it. I'll just mat and frame it with my usual off-white mat and narrow black frame to make a nominal 16x16 print. Hard to go wrong with that combination.

Thanks for looking! The 126 cartridge films are surprising! Developing at Blue Moon in Portland, Oregon costs me $12 per roll of 24. A bit steep, but that's okay as I use it only occasionally. The "problem" is that it's so EASY to just hit the slider/winder that you burn through a roll pretty fast!

Next up will be some results in black and white from some Vericolor Pan, using the Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.4...

Believe it or not, I'm finding good results from Walmart printing (Noritsu and Fuji Frontier printers) on Fuji Crystal papers. I just got back a 16x16 in the rain forest, and it's quite a pleasure to have. Very good color matching!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last one best. I bet she would love a print.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb!
she will be very happy, it's a great shot and the kitty add a nice touch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb portraits! Perfect from every aspects I like it very much!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you much, folks! Very Happy

I can see the color and tonal differences between the Tessar and the Pantar in these images. The reds are different, and the "lightness" is different between the lenses.

If anyone gets a chance, would you mind looking at both portraits and see which one looks "better" to you? I'm sort of leaning to the Pantar in this case. Both images were at 1/125th, which equates to roughly f:4 or so in each lens.

Also, I like the black and white, especially with the low contrast film. I'm a sort of "fan" of low contrast with black and white.

The image is showing its "graininess", as it was scanned at low resolution.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones!
I really like the B+W. This sort of soft glow almost IR shot is very appealing to me for small prints of such subjects. What Are you going to do when you can't get the film for this cam anymore? It seems to have become a favorite Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Nice ones!
I really like the B+W. This sort of soft glow almost IR shot is very appealing to me for small prints of such subjects. What Are you going to do when you can't get the film for this cam anymore? It seems to have become a favorite Smile

Thanks F16SUNSHINE! By the way, I took some with the venerable Electro 35 as well, just haven't gotten them back yet.

Regarding the film - I have 6 blocks of 12 rolls (72 rolls) of the Ferrania 126, about 10 rolls of Kodacolor 126 (expired), and about 10 rolls of Verichrome Pan 126. That should last maybe....five years or more, based on the current rate of shooting about two rolls per month. I don't know what I will do after that. I'm hoping that Ferrania makes another "run" of 126 sometime.

If not, then I'll start re-loading 35mm film into the cassettes, which has been already accomplished with success by other 126 users. The only caveat is the winding...takes about 4 "winds" to advance the 35mm to the next frame properly.

I sure would hate to give up the unique Zeiss glass: Tessar and Pantar 45/2.8 lenses, Distagon 32/2.8, Sonnar 85/2.8, and Tele-Tessar 135/4.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get fond of the square format you could then move to Hassy, that system has all the zeiss lens you love (except the Pantar), just a tad bit more expensive I guess Twisted Evil

Jokes apart, since your results with square format are very good, it could really be an opportunity. Nowadays a basic old Hassy 500C with the 80/2.8 Planar costs about 500 USD. Then you can add more lenses slowly with time. On the plus side you'll have the greater quality of medium format and a wide choice of films.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
If you get fond of the square format you could then move to Hassy, that system has all the zeiss lens you love (except the Pantar), just a tad bit more expensive I guess Twisted Evil

Jokes apart, since your results with square format are very good, it could really be an opportunity. Nowadays a basic old Hassy 500C with the 80/2.8 Planar costs about 500 USD. Then you can add more lenses slowly with time. On the plus side you'll have the greater quality of medium format and a wide choice of films.

Thanks Allesandro. I take great respect for your professional results of your images. They CONSTANTLY impress me with the composition and tonality as top notch.

Well...I do have the Yashica Mat 124 that I've gotten good results from. This has been posted before, but is a typically fine transparency, as the output from the Yashica Mat square format is pleasing to me. I'm a long-time fan of square format.

Forgive my re-post, those who have already viewed:

Yashica Mat 124
Yashinon 80/3.5 lens

I recently had a Rollei SLR system model 6006, but the camera was so prone to little things going wrong that I just let it go. Output was good though, with very nice three-dimensional output. It was a tough call, but I just couldn't afford each little problem that seemed to crop up.

Rollei 6006 SLR
Sonnar 80/2.8 lens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, actually #1 is A M A Z I N G, I saw less impressive stuff in National Geographic books.

Your talent really shines in square format.

Yep I heard a lot of similar experiences with Rollei 6000 series, basically they depend on batteries that are aging fast. But they share the same Zeiss lenses with Hasselblad and they also had marvellous Schneider ones.

Think, all that stuff will be useless because of unreliable batteries, I feel sick thinking about it.

I'd go for an all mechanical medium format camera, this why I choosed Pentacon Six and I'm looking forward in the future to get a Hassy C/CM or a Mamiya RB67.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Allesandro.

Regarding my recent acquisition of an RB67, I think that I will very much like the output at 6x7, because I can leave it as is, or with very little image loss, turn it to square format.

It is a sad thing for sure about battery-dependent equipment starting to wear out. That was one of the reasons I picked up the RB67.

I wish I would not have given my Agfa Isolette away sometimes. But, thinking this over...I am going to go ahead and take the Yashica Mat along with my K110D on my trek. The 'Mat is a lot lighter than the RB67, and will give me that big transparency that I desire.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both nice but the yashica mat picture just blows me away. Absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Isolette II with the Solinar 75/3.5 (which should be the best lens for Isolettes) but there's an ocean of quality difference with the P6 with the 80/2.8 Biometar or the 50/4 Flek.

Lately I used a lot the P6 just like a big reflex camera, it's not so huge and heavy once you're accostumed to it.

I just hope to find a good film developer open in these august days as I have two Ilford delta 100 rolls from my recent trip to Rome that I'm eager to scan.

Good choice about the RB67, I like Mamiyas but after seeing how the Hasselblad performs with the Zeiss lens (look this post I made http://forum.mflenses.com/giancarlo-rado-t9291.html#77855) I'm very undecided.

In an ideal world I should buy both the systems Laughing