Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Colour rendition of Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Colour rendition of Minolta MD Zoom 35-70mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I used this MD Zoom lens on my GH1. It was cloudy and with a little bit of rain outdoor and I did not use flash indoor. Grateful for comments on its color rendition and performance. Smile
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color and sharpness looks excellent to me....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics, of course.

But first, before say anything about the performance of the lens, may be better to know aperture used, focal lenght, pp made, etc.

Good lens, I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Hifisapi!

Smile
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI , Sonyrokkor
The aperture used were 2.8 & 3.5. I have altered brightness and resized only.
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to comment on the colour rendition of your lens without knowing the WB or other camera settings, or the lighting conditions when you took these pics. My experience with this lens is that it gives very nicely "subdued" colours, accurate to what your eye sees. I'm not a lover of vivid or over-saturated pictures, so this suits me just fine.

Couple of familiar HK locations in that series, they brought back very happy memories. Thankyou! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not tell you anything about the colors and contrast, I'm not in the possibility to do that.

But I can say that the resolution power is high, more to be a zoom lens. Perhaps less than the resolution of the PG 1,4 or the MD 1,8/35,

or other prime minolta lens in the same range.

If I could have one, use it sure.

Second choice to everyday lens, behind my pg 1,4.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: REply to Peter Reply with quote

Dear Peter,
I used AWB, aperture priority mode and -1/3ev. As regard lighting conditions, it was a bit rainy for the outdoor ones and usual shopping mall lighting condition for the indoor ones.
BTW, you lived in HK before? You should come back more often to experience the changes, for the better. We still adopt the common law system, respects the rule of law and enjoy full autonomy. Smile
Regards,
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to Dan Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
My mistake. It should be f/3.5 or f/4 then. It nice to "meet" you and so many others from different countries here! Thanks for your comments and sharing your experience with this lens. Smile

Ferrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to sonyrokkor Reply with quote

Hi sonyrokkor,
Thanks for your sharing! I heard some people say that this lens is somehow related to Leica. Is that true? Question
Regards,
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reply to sonyrokkor Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
Hi sonyrokkor,
Thanks for your sharing! I heard some people say that this lens is somehow related to Leica. Is that true? Question
Regards,
Ferrick

I heard that too. Somebody says that is identical to the leica lens, anothers say they are different lenses. Who knows.

Anyways is a good lens!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: REply to Peter Reply with quote

ferrick wrote:
Dear Peter,
I used AWB, aperture priority mode and -1/3ev. As regard lighting conditions, it was a bit rainy for the outdoor ones and usual shopping mall lighting condition for the indoor ones.
BTW, you lived in HK before? You should come back more often to experience the changes, for the better. We still adopt the common law system, respects the rule of law and enjoy full autonomy. Smile
Regards,
Ferrick

No, I've never lived in HK. But my son's wife is from HK and I went there for a month for the wedding. I now have about 30 Chinese relatives! Smile We had a fantastic time and I have many very fond memories. Most certainly we shall be going back sometime. We stayed in a serviced apartment in Mercury Street, near Victoria Park (Tin Hau) which was near where the wedding took place, but her grandmother lives in Wong Tai Sin and we went across on the Star ferry many times! Smile

You are right about Leica. This is the same lens as the Leica Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70, which was built by Minolta. Minolta and Leica collaborated on the manufacture of several cameras and lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="peterqd"]No, I've never lived in HK. But my son's wife is from HK and I went there for a month for the wedding. I now have about 30 Chinese relatives! Smile We had a fantastic time and I have many very fond memories. Most certainly we shall be going back sometime. We stayed in a serviced apartment in Mercury Street, near Victoria Park (Tin Hau) which was near where the wedding took place, but her grandmother lives in Wong Tai Sin and we went across on the Star ferry many times! Smile

You are right about Leica. This is the same lens as the Leica Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70, which was built by Minolta. Minolta and Leica collaborated on the manufacture of several cameras and lenses.[/quote]
Dear Peter,

I am glad to hear that you had a fantastic time in Hong Kong. 30 Chinese! Wow, it's quite a number! Smile

The Leica Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70 really does look like my MD Zoom. Both got concaved front lens.

Regards.
Ferrick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 copies of this lens, buying them while they're cheap Laughing sooner or later the Leica relationship will push prices up Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tervueren"]I have 3 copies of this lens, buying them while they're cheap Laughing sooner or later the Leica relationship will push prices up Cool[/quote]

Good idea! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the pictures of the lens itself... I had once 35-70 MD (I think that it was 3.5-4.5 what I had but not sure) lens but I sold it while I wasn't satisfied. Curious to see if yours looks like mine.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Please post the pictures of the lens itself... I had once 35-70 MD (I think that it was 3.5-4.5 what I had but not sure) lens but I sold it while I wasn't satisfied. Curious to see if yours looks like mine.

Thanks!

Check this out http://www.fourseasonshd.com/cgi-bin/csvsearch.pl?db=db1&tp=tp4&search=3570macro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the link provided and I can say that I didn't had this lens... I guess that is this reason I wasn't satisfied with quality of it.

Need to give another try with that one... Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:

Thanks!

This is how it looks like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tervueren"][quote="RAART"]Please post the pictures of the lens itself... I had once 35-70 MD (I think that it was 3.5-4.5 what I had but not sure) lens but I sold it while I wasn't satisfied. Curious to see if yours looks like mine.

Thanks![/quote]

Check this out [url]http://www.fourseasonshd.com/cgi-bin/csvsearch.pl?db=db1&tp=tp4&search=3570macro[/url][/quote]

Thanks for providing this interesting link! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep an eye out on ebay under 'film cameras' you can usually spot one attached to a camera for peanuts Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tervueren"]If you keep an eye out on ebay under 'film cameras' you can usually spot one attached to a camera for peanuts Wink[/quote]

Really? I should keep an eye on the ebay then! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervueren wrote:
If you keep an eye out on ebay under 'film cameras' you can usually spot one attached to a camera for peanuts Wink

Then I will keep eye on the ebay! I am sure now that lens I had didn't look like this one and didn't had macro...

There is one there for $99... For how much they going for? Anyone knows?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Tervueren wrote:

Then I will keep eye on the ebay! I am sure now that lens I had didn't look like this one and didn't had macro...

There is one there for $99... For how much they going for? Anyone knows?

I've not paid more than £35 including a camera Laughing that said it's about 6 months ago since I bought last one so prices may well be on the up

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very quick look found these
Click here to see on Ebay
Click here to see on Ebay
Even 1 for sale in ffordes
http://www.ffordes.com/product/12062010584381