Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Close Encounters of the Trio Kind
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Close Encounters of the Trio Kind Reply with quote

Trioplans 2.8/100mm

From left: EXA V 120xxxx, M42 V 159xxxx, M42 without V 256xxxx, EXA without V 262xxxx, EXA without V 215xxxx, EXA N without V 351xxxx

Coating:

Aperture blades:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a beauties!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful.
What advice do you have in case I decide to get one?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black is quite close to modern lenses, silver has very unique character.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Black is quite close to modern lenses, silver has very unique character.

We are talking about silver, of course!
How old are they ?

Just in case, my M42 adapter is on the way Wink

Why don't you support your statement with a few photos? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver post war, most common one.

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=3186&highlight=trioplan+100&sid=f3c3f75a0326e64209c2c00ef9649c28

This is a pre-war lens.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/trioplan_10cm/

This is post-war.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/trioplan_100mm_f2_8/

Black one.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/trioplan_100mm_f2_8_exa/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Very beautiful.
What advice do you have in case I decide to get one?

Tomorrow I will try to do quick comparison. But only the two left and the black one. They should be all the same optical schema. But the oldest one (left most for EXA) seems to be little bit shorter, maybe there will be some difference. Avoid the two most right because of bad shaped aperture. If you can use EXA, get the fourth, it will be cheaper than M42. The first is probably too rare.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still get outbid on these almost 2 years on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Laughing Put a bit more money on them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I promised, here is quick comparison. This is my standard bokeh/contrast lens torture test. The only difference I see, is in coating. Unfortunately, V or higher serial number, doesn't mean better contrast! Otherwise the OOF lights are rendered identical to me, except black N version, which stopped down shows hexagonal OOF lights, due to it's six blades aperture. The images are not overexposed, Trioplans just don't like contra light. I even used shorter times, than metered by camera. For comparison, I included Pentacon 2.8/100 to show the advance of this modern design lens (here I used shutter speed as metered by camera). JPEGs straight from camera, only resized. Fixed WB.

@f2.8 oldest EXA V 120xxxx

@f2.8 M42 without V 256xxxx

@f2.8 EXA N without V 351xxxx

@f2.8 Pentacon 2.8/100

Stopped down:

@f5.6 oldest EXA V 120xxxx

@f5.6 M42 without V 256xxxx

@f5.6 EXA N without V 351xxxx

@f5.6 Pentacon 2.8/100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples. I like the 256 serial the best. I know that the Pentacon is more saturated and better contrast, but these days we can tweat that in PP. The appeal to me is the bokeh which is not as pleasant in the Pentacon.
Attila wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Laughing Put a bit more money on them.

No, I stick to my budget. Many can get away but there will always be another. And........

As if by magic I finally got one after almost 2 years of hunting. And I got it quite cheaply with its box.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Nice samples. I like the 256 serial the best. I know that the Pentacon is more saturated and better contrast, but these days we can tweat that in PP. The appeal to me is the bokeh which is not as pleasant in the Pentacon
As if by magic I finally got one after almost 2 years of hunting. And I got it quite cheaply with its box.

Wide open I like Pentacon bokeh better, it's more creamy. But stopped down is degraded by six blade aperture. The older Oreston preset version of this lens wiht 10 blades aperture will do surely much better stopped down.

BTW congrats to your new acquisition and welcome to Trioplan owners club Wink

Two more from 256xxxx to illustrate it's great performance in not so tough lighting conditions:

256xxxx @f2.8 with short macro-ring

256xxxx @f4