Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning silver lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Cleaning silver lenses Reply with quote

Hi, i have a helios 44 lens that needs to be cleand. When bought, the focus ring barely moved, but i managed to clean and lube it. My question is, what is the best way to clean the barrel of the lens? It has lots of tiny scratches, blemishes, and some parts that are not shinny at all. I dont care so much about the scratches, but i would like to get rid of the blemishes, and make it shine. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use alcohol sometimes. Other times, in a very localized, controlled way, I clean with soap and (not much) water; using an old toothbrush, for example. The latter works well when cleaning and removing salt from rubber grip surfaces.

Last edited by guardian on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Cleaning silver lenses Reply with quote

robiles wrote:
Hi, i have a helios 44 lens that needs to be cleand. When bought, the focus ring barely moved, but i managed to clean and lube it. My question is, what is the best way to clean the barrel of the lens? It has lots of tiny scratches, blemishes, and some parts that are not shinny at all. I dont care so much about the scratches, but i would like to get rid of the blemishes, and make it shine. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

some Helios lenses have a semi matt finish. Unless of course you are talking about a silver coloured one. Metal polish cleans up aluminium. Brasso with wadding is good for cleaning any metal finish even painted. If it can shine - it will.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autosol, use it sparingly so it doesn't get inside the lens or on the glass. You can buy it in good motor factors and garages, even Halfords.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Romania, so i will have to take a look online for the products recomended. The lens in question in the 13 blade helios, made of aluminium (i guess). I will have to clear up a few days and dismantle the entire lens because the aperture mechanism moves a bit... not normal. I will post some photos of before, and after. Thanks for all your help

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my thread on relubing this lens