Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cimark zoom 28-70mm - Now looking like a Cosina!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Cimark zoom 28-70mm - Now looking like a Cosina! Reply with quote

Wanted to shine a light on this rather tatty looking Cimark zoom

Click here to see on Ebay then click "see original listing"

(which did not sell first time 'round) and on the Cimark marque in general, which I had not come across prior to seeing this auction.

First about the zoom, my take (only) and I intend no disrespect to Cimark lens owners who like their lenses:

It appears to be junque at first blush . . plastic . . which I don't like. I researched the company and found this:

http://www.azooptics.com/suppliers.aspx?SupplierID=2676

It seems as if this company might actually still be in business today! Next, the mount:

The mount struck me as unusual so I contacted the seller. She informed me the screws needed to attach the mounting plate to the lens body are not included in the auction. That's not good.

Cimark lenses in general:

I searched this forum finding no prior mention of the Cimark brand. But there are other Cimark lenses out there, not just this zoom. If you own a Cimark lens please post your experience with the lens and your impressions. Perhaps Cimark lenses are manufactured by a company whose name we would recognize. But that mounting plate arrangement does seem a bit unusual, not something I've run across before.

ETA

You know, guys, I wonder if Cimark could be Chinese. I acknowledge that zoom lens says "Made in Japan". Nevertheless, the "look and feel" of Cimark the company seems to have a certain Chinese quality to it.

Last edited by guardian on Mon May 05, 2014 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone care about the provenance of an old piece of junk like that?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by COSINA Click here to see on Ebay, also sold in other brands like Vivitar Click here to see on Ebay. Any rewards for figuring out the maker?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Made by COSINA Click here to see on Ebay, also sold in other brands like Vivitar Click here to see on Ebay. Any rewards for figuring out the maker?

Good heavens, calvin83, that's darn fine sleuthing!!

The Cimark does indeed appear to be virtually identical to the Cosina you found . . . . which sold! I clearly judged too quickly when I made my earlier comment about Cimark possibly having Chinese ties. The lens now seems to be as advertised: 100% Japanese.

It's difficult to find information about this lens branded Cimark. The same task for Cosina-branded lenses is much easier. For example:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14411702@N00/discuss/72157605490000549/

It appears to be nothing special, but contrary to my OP not junque either. I'm not a fan of plastic lenses; this is primarily responsible for my earlier characterization hastily offered.

Do you think it's conceivable this lowly Cimark also exists as a CZJ lens (no blasphemy intended)!! Have a look here

http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-28-70mm-f-3-5-4-5-mc-macro-zoom-t8544.html

You have to concede there are some similarities!! Is is possible the Germans liked this lens so much they sold it beneath their own marque!!

The one confusion I'm experiencing, calvin83, is regarding the mount. Your Cosina mounting plate mounts with four screws. The Cimark plate, as shown, has only three screw holes. The Cimark seller does not show us the rear of her lens without the plate, so no way to know how many mounting holes are there.

Finally there is the matter of your reward, as you inquired. Your detective work is well deserving of the three full attaboys I'm extending your way. You did really good!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pursuant to calvin83's detective work, it appears this Cimark (branded Cosina) has come up for discussion prior here on this forum, though not recently. Here is a thread which offers discussion and, in addition, a decent-sized portfolio of test shots:

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-cosina-28-70-3-5-4-8-t41917,highlight,+cosina.html

I found interesting the thought this might be a sort of "end of an era" MF lens, a last of the Mohicans kind of thing, followed shortly by the AF lens explosion.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CZJ branded Cosinas had nothing whatsoever to do with Zeiss, they were bought in by the UK importer who had the rights to the CZJ name after the reunification of the two halves of Germany and two halves of Zeiss in 1990. They were not very good at all, Cosina at that time made cheap crap.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know you figure out it is also is sold by Minolta too. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Good to know you figure out it is also is sold by Minolta too. Wink

This is another excellent observation, calvin83.

I think the bottom line for would-be Cimark MF lens buyers is not to be unduly put off by (what was prior for me, at least) an unknown brand name. Instead, following the lead of calvin83, search for a Cosina analogue to whatever Cimark you might be considering. Finding same, there is at least hope the low-cost Cimark might be an equally good lens . . . . worth taking a risk, anyway, for those with thin wallets.

Cosina lenses are not among the finest ever manufactured, but Cosina (unlike Cimark) is a net-searchable brand. You can locate information and opinions regarding the various Cosina lenses fairly easily. The subject lens for example, but branded Cosina, elicits mixed reviews with some users liking especially its colour rendition. Is the Cimark analogue equally good? I dunno, and risk-takers will make their own decisions. At least now, thanks principally to calvin83's fine detective work, this forum can provide members with a starting point for Cimark lens consideration.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting this lens was sold as a Minolta?

I find that hard to believe. I've had 8 or9 Cosinas of this vintage and they were all crap, low contrast, muted colours, needed to be closed a couple of stops to be really sharp.

Minolta MD lenses of the same vintage are a whole different class, superb colour rendition, strong contrast, excellent sharpness.

Cosina were in the business of churning out masses of cheapo lenses to whoever wanted to put out items with their own branding on them, they are extremely common and represent the bottom rung of the ladder.