Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinese Ilford XP2 (?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Chinese Ilford XP2 (?) Reply with quote

Some time ago I got a couple of rolls of Chinese-packaged C41 B/W film from Ebay. It does look like Ilford XP2, and especially for the price I am impressed.

Here are some samples (negatives scanned with my flatbed scanner)

I think it is better than Kodak BW400CN:

(edited)

Last edited by eeyore_nl on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice to me; I'd say it is more similar to BW400CN than XP2 ... Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Looks nice to me; I'd say it is more similar to BW400CN than XP2 ... Shocked

Really? To my eye it has a different tonal range than BW400CN.

It's definitely not rebranded BW400CN, btw ... no orange film base.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my eyes, BW400CN has velvety black; XP2 has sharper black. This may make sense only to me, and I have shot only two rolls of XP2 ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
For my eyes, BW400CN has velvety black; XP2 has sharper black. This may make sense only to me, and I have shot only two rolls of XP2 ...

That might be my scanning and post processing as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the brand name?
Thanks

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulalake wrote:
What's the brand name?
Thanks

No idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/40-ROLLS-BLACK-WHITE-NEGATIVE-FILM-400-24-C-41-35-mm-/400164740320?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item5d2bad5ce0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Results look very good for a nice price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general assumption was that it probably is either Chinese made BW400CN (Kodak having partnered with the - at least for a time - biggest Chinese film factory) or one of the demised Japanese C41 B&W films. Both Mitsubishi and Konica had one, and may have sold machines and licenses to China - it does not fully look like BW400CN or XP2, and Mitsubishi was the worst of the crop, so horrible that it should be glaringly obvious if it were that, so my vote goes to Konica. Or the Chinese branched off from Kodak or Ilford.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
it does not fully look like BW400CN or XP2, and Mitsubishi was the worst of the crop, so horrible that it should be glaringly obvious if it were that, so my vote goes to Konica. Or the Chinese branched off from Kodak or Ilford.

Sevo

If the color of the film base is an indication, then it certainly is not BW400CN. Anyway, for the price it seems to be a quite decent film.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tones eeyore, my only try with the Kodak film gave much more contrasty results so I don't think it's rebranded BW400CN either. I like your pics a lot better than mine. Where was the canal pic taken? It looks like Bruges but I guess it's somewhere in NL.

I've never tried XP2 so I can't compare, but it could be. The listing says the film is made in EU, packed in China and sold in California! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Where was the canal pic taken? It looks like Bruges but I guess it's somewhere in NL.

That was taken in Oudewater, in the Netherlands indeed.

Yes, it's really international film Very Happy