Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chess master in action 1979
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Chess master in action 1979 Reply with quote

From the 1979 Nottinghamshire Congress, IM Mike Basman in action.
Shot on a Pentacon Six, with Ilford HP5. I think it must be the Flektogon MC 50/4 on it.

It is so frustrating that I have this quality of B&W from the Pentacon in the 70s when my photo skills were pretty crummy but the results I'm getting today are so much worse. Maybe the lab that develops the negs is cooking them poorly (they hardly ever have to handle B&W). Or maybe I've been screwing up the scanning.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like how your lab processes B&W, why don't you start developing it yourself? Running costs are about 50c per roll, and the initial investment is really limited: a tank, a changing bag, a thermometer, a few containers to measure chemicals, and little else. Most of the stuff you can pick up on ebay for a few euros.

The process is very easy, fairly quick (about 15-20min per roll) and requires little space. And has the added benefit of shortening the wait time between shooting and checking results dramatically.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if we can assume that the scan of the above 31-year-old photo is recent, then I think it's safe to say it isn't scanning that's your problem because the above image looks fine.

+1 to ludoo's remarks. Developing B&W is about as hard as falling off a log, and is quite economical. It's worth noting, however, that developing 120 or 220 is somewhat trickier than 35mm. Easier to crease the film, and it's more sensitive to incorrect agitation than 35mm is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to do my own (for all I know, I might have processed this one). The trouble is that I am stuck out in the Middle East, I don't know of anywhere here that has the chemicals and I have grave doubts about the feasibility of a private individual getting chemicals through the customs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, if we can assume that the scan of the above 31-year-old photo is recent, then I think it's safe to say it isn't scanning that's your problem because the above image looks fine.

Very recent ... today, in fact Smile

My scanning could be erratic since I haven't done much B&W, but the negs I get all look over-cooked by comparison with the old ones.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way that is a great image!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a great picture!

I love the situation -- like a frozen moment..

tf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. There's a lot of tension in a chess tournament (believe it or not), maybe I caught the spirit of it.