Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Century Tele-Athenar II 650 mm 6.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Century Tele-Athenar II 650 mm 6.8 Reply with quote

This has been a good old lens for me over the years. It has been sitting in my closet unused for quite a while. Is there a market for this lens? Should I just put it up on eBay? Any info you guys can provide would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These stovepipes don't surface often enough for eBay prices to be a good guide.

That said, I have the impression that demand for them is weak. Perhaps ten years ago my 500/5.6 TA-II got just one bid on eBay. I took a bath on it, was glad to have had the little it brought.

A year ago my 300/5.6 TA got no bids.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight. What Do you think that this lack of interest on eBay is due to? Is it a lack of name recognition, or quality, or just outdated technology, or what?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of knowledge.
The collectors or potential collectors know Kilfitt or Astro Berlin but not Century.
Also Century was American not German, so no special cachet attaches to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilbo10235 wrote:
Thanks for your insight. What Do you think that this lack of interest on eBay is due to? Is it a lack of name recognition, or quality, or just outdated technology, or what?

Century has a good name in Hollywood, isn't that well known by still photographers.

Quality? Opinions differ. My 500/5.6 had severe chromatic aberration and a bad central hot spot. I never took an acceptable shot with it. I used my 300/5.6 on a Beaulieu. It passed acceptance testing but I never got anything I could use in a film. Could be operator error, lenses that long (I shot Super Cool are very demanding.

Technology? Well, TeleAthenars are just achromatic (Century says) doublets hung in front of a long tube. Modern teles really are teles and are better.

Or what? I dunno. Would you rather have a TA or a Bigma?

Last edited by danfromm on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long Astros and etc. are also just doublets.
The difference is in collectibility.

Even Pieskers are more collectible, because they have "Berlin" engraved.