Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Biometar 2.8/120
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:27 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Biometar 2.8/120 Reply with quote

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/2.8 1/700 s; ISO 400

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/2.8 1/125 s; ISO 400

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/5.6 1/60 s; ISO 800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus seems slightly off, but beautiful bokeh !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Focus seems slightly off,

Rather I would say, that it is little shaking of may hands - I did photos hand held. but for the girls portrait the slight bluring is razes welcomed.

caspert79 wrote:
but beautiful bokeh ?

Oh yes, it is. I have yet to compare it with my g a Kiev MC Vega 28B 2.8/120mm lens, to understand, whether i was good deal to obtain that Biometar.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Focus seems slightly off,

Rather I would say, that it is little shaking of may hands - I did photos hand held. but for the girls portrait the slight bluring is razes welcomed.

caspert79 wrote:
but beautiful bokeh ?

Oh yes, it is. I have yet to compare it with my g a Kiev MC Vega 28B 2.8/120mm lens, to understand, whether i was good deal to obtain that Biometar.

Oh yeah, I didn’t pay attention to the long shutter times. Images look still very nice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There the blur is absent, and accordingly more crispness. But I am not certain that it is much better for the girls portrait.

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/5.6 1/60 s; ISO 800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/5.6 1/90 s; ISO 800

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
There the blur is absent, and accordingly more crispness. But I am not certain that it is much better for the girls portrait.

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/5.6 1/60 s; ISO 800

True, much sharper, but this lens shines @ f/2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
but this lens shines @ f/2.8.

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/2.8 1/60 s; ISO 200

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/2.8 1/60 s; ISO 200

Scent of a Woman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was always one of my favorite P6 lenses. I like the 180/2.8 even better, but I used the 120 more. It's a very handy focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:
This was always one of my favorite P6 lenses.

I really have the proper competitors for it - Kiev's MC Vega 28B 2.8/120mm lens, and Mamiya M645 Macro MF 120mm f/4.

For that reason I had the consideration - "to buy, or not to buy" it.

The price was not so exiting - $200. And however it was in the dedicated case, and "as new", but the diaphragm was dead stack.

At the end I decided to give it the try. I have the master, who restored the diaphragm for $20, and I decided to make the session.

However I didn't compare it with the competitors in the straight test yet, anyway I see it was worthy to ad it to my MF system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:

The price was not so exiting - $200.

That's well worth it for a nice copy. I assume you got the P6 version, but Praktisix, zebra, or MC?

Would love to see a comparison between the 120 Mamiya. I suspect they produce dissimilar images. That lens (the Mamiya) is on my "buy" list but I've yet to pull the trigger. Seems everyone knows how great they are and prices reflect that.

I would happily keep both and use for different purposes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:

I assume you got the P6 version, but Praktisix, zebra, or MC?

Yah, it is P6, but - zebra, however from the latest versions. Accordingly to the number - of 1974 year. So, coating is quite decent, however evidently not MC.

Noritar wrote:

Seems everyone knows how great they are and prices reflect that.

Yes, I paid for it $250 fwe years ago, and only after the very bloody bargaining.

There are my test photos, which I did immediately after I had obtained it:

https://forum.mflenses.com/mamiya-sekor-macro-mf-120mm-f-4-for-645-t84125.html

Noritar wrote:

I would happily keep both and use for different purposes.

The same. I obtained it mainly for my Mamiya 645 system - both film and digital MF. However I still have in my storage Kiev cameras for Pentacon Six bayonet. However don't use it much nowadays.

Noritar wrote:

Would love to see a comparison between the 120 Mamiya.

Yes, I have that intention.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, but these complaints seem rather amusing considering that here in the States, that's a $350-$500 lens.

And a diaphragm CLA on a German MF lens for $20? You're paying at least 5x that here!

LittleAlex wrote:

The price was not so exiting - $200. And however it was in the dedicated case, and "as new", but the diaphragm was dead stack.

LittleAlex wrote:

At the end I decided to give it the try. I have the master, who restored the diaphragm for $20, and I decided to make the session.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, but these complaints seem rather amusing considering that here in the States, that's a $350-$500 lens.

And a diaphragm CLA on a German MF lens for $20? You're paying at least 5x that here!

Speaking of perspective, a NOS zebra 120/2.8 with a stuck aperture was a $50 lens at one point. These CZJ lenses were nearly free 20 years ago. I got box full of working MC lenses with cases and hoods, two serviced and upgraded Pentacon Six cameras, and a bellows for $500 back then. I only wish I had been smart enough to buy a set of Pancolors.

Also, that lens service is $145 where I live.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:

I believe it is too optimistic estimation. Exploring Ebay I took an impression, that for the real sales $150-250 will be the jast price for it. Even with MC

BrianSVP wrote:

Well, two years ago the same master completely renovated for me prewar Super Ikonta 530/16 camera with completely broken pinion. He literally turned for it the new one! And - for the same $20!

https://forum.mflenses.com/prewar-zeiss-ikon-super-ikonta-530-16-t84088.html

So, as you see there are reasons to complain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:

I did "dirty" test between Biometar 120/2.8, Vega 28B 2.8/120mm MC and Mamiya M645 Macro MF 120mm f/4.

Biometar evidently better then Vega, and amazingly much better them Mamiya!

Even at 5.6!

I latter will add samples.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
Noritar wrote:

I did "dirty" test between Biometar 120/2.8, Vega 28B 2.8/120mm MC and Mamiya M645 Macro MF 120mm f/4.

Even at 5.6!

Looking forward to some photo samples! I expected the Biotametar would be better than the Vega. But I assumed the Mamiya would be the best just based on reputation. The 120 Biometar is a great lens! I think it's underappreciated in spite of it being an already popular lens.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biometar 120/2.8 Phase One 645 DF+ P-25

f/2.8

f/5.6

Vega 28B 2.8/120mm MC

f/2.8

f/5.6

Mamiya M645 Macro MF 120mm f/4

f/5.6

No correction. Only the exposition and WB - for uniformity/

Last edited by LittleAlex on Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:43 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noritar wrote:

I expected the Biotametar would be better than the Vega.

Really to say - I didn't. So - for me it was a little surprise.

Noritar wrote:

But I assumed the Mamiya would be the best just based on reputation.

Still the test is on infinity. But it is macro lens. Which lenses frequently are not so good on the infinity distance.

Noritar wrote:

I think it's underappreciated in spite of it being an already popular lens.

Well, I am happy now that I obtained it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
Noritar wrote:

Even at 5.6!

If that's true then something's wrong with your Mamiya Sekor C 4/120mm Macro.

S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

S

Well, nearly the same I experienced with Mamiya-Sekor 645 Macro 80mm f/4. I also expected the extreme sharpness from it on the general planes/ However, at the open diaphragm it was very mediocre.

Old macro lenses very frequently are not too good on the far away distances. because it had been calculated for the close distances. Even when it has the floating element.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
stevemark wrote:

S

Well, nearly the same I experienced with Mamiya-Sekor 645 Macro 80mm f/4. I also expected the extreme sharpness from it on the general planes/ However, at the open diaphragm it was very mediocre.

Old macro lenses very frequently are not too good on the far away distances. because it had been calculated for the close distances. Even when it has the floating element.

I briefly had the Mamiya 120/4, and in my memory it was really good at distance as well. Unfortunately I only kept the images taken at short distance. But, a thing with the Mamiya 120/4 and the 80/4 probably as well, is that its focus throw is very short from about 5 feet to infinity. Its very easy to misfocus, compared to a non-macro lens, which could be the case here. Then there’s also the possibility of something being wrong. But the Mamiya 120/4 should be very good at any distance IMO.