Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena 135 f3.5 infinity focus on Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying the subject Attila. I guess my note must have seemed like lens mutilation promotion which of course it wasn't. It is the case there are no schools for lens restoration (repair, service, adaptation) so it seems that tinkering phase is necessary for someone to master working with vintage lenses professionally. I am sure 50% of services offered and promoted at the moment are result from garage tinkerers gone pro. With percentage rising. Sadly some lenses get damaged that way. No way around that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
It is the case there are no schools for lens restoration (repair, service, adaptation) so it seems that tinkering phase is necessary for someone to master working with vintage lenses professionally. I am sure 50% of services offered and promoted at the moment are result from garage tinkerers gone pro. With percentage rising. Sadly some lenses get damaged that way. No way around that.

+1

And apart from that for me hobby is something where you can enjoy the path of making something, even if it's not the best way to do it and the end result is not optimal. The opposite is then a job, where I have to produce the best results as fast and with little effort as possible...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: M42 solution to NIKON with infinity Reply with quote

Hi All,
I successfully solved the infinity problem on NIKON. If somebody interested in write a mail about details. I use my lens perfectly on my D300s body. (Sonnar 3,5/135, Pancolar 1,8/50, HELIOS 44M-4 serie, Pentacon 29, 50, 135, 200mm all MC type.
I think the most of lens can be modified to use NIKON body but I think only the better quality has odds...)
More information can be find here:
www.nikonfinity.5mp.eu
Merry Christmas!
BR

Last edited by Zsolt on Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M42 solution to NIKON with infinity Reply with quote

Zsolt wrote:
Hi All,
I successfully solved the infinity problem on NIKON. If somebody interested in write a mail about details. I use my lens perfectly on my D300s body. (Sonnar 3,5/135, Pancolar 1,8/50, HELIOS 44M-4 serie, Pentacon 29, 50, 135, 200mm all MC type.
I think the most of lens can be modified to use NIKON body but I think only the better quality has odds...
More information can be find here:
www.nikonfinity.5mp.eu
BR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Zsolt! Share your experience here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zsolt did offer conversion service, adapter I did move his post to Marketplace

http://forum.mflenses.com/m42-nikon-lens-conversion-service-t55587.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens was fit for the bin only with stuck aperture, really badly dented filter ring (in 2 places) and the electrics inside corroded - I know it's only an issue if you're are using an LLC. The lens had been opened at some time and the plastic aperture coupler was scratched and a small piece was missing. Probably because it's a bugger to get them to line up.

I do understand that for every lens modified there is one less original. But seriously this would have gone in the bin until I rescued it. I could have used it with my lensed adapter but at full aperture the results would have been less than good.

The Zuikos that I have modified for my Nikon are reversible, the 35mm f2.8 would have some evidence remaining, but the 28mm f3.5 is completely reversible. Naturally the Jupiter 11 can be turned back to m42 from Nikon as it has a t-mount style adapter.

I wouldn't attempt to convert a lens unless:

A: I thought it was feasible
B: Worth it
C: Alternative to the bin

But not necessarily in that order.

The only problem with this conversion was that the lens markings etc ended up underneath the lens. There is an adjustment to correct this but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get it to line up!

I used the lens on my Nikkormat then accepted an offer for £30 from a friend. The guy who gave it to me's brother! I'll post scans when the film is developed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 135 infinity problem Reply with quote

Dear philslizzy,
I read again the post but it is not clear to me what is the current status of your lens. I'm sorry what happened with you...
I'll try to help you if you accept it. In case of you have enough energy to achive the goal use this brillant lens with infinity I try to help you and I'll make my best.
I write a private mail about the next steps.
Regards,
Zsolti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sonnar 135 infinity problem Reply with quote

Zsolt wrote:
Dear philslizzy,
I read again the post but it is not clear to me what is the current status of your lens. I'm sorry what happened with you...
I'll try to help you if you accept it. In case of you have enough energy to achive the goal use this brillant lens with infinity I try to help you and I'll make my best.
I write a private mail about the next steps.
Regards,
Zsolti

Hi , thanks for your reply. I took a look at your site and I'm impressed with your work. However I managed to convert my lens with lots of help from members.

I took apart the lens and adjusted the infinity stop. The focusing helical now screws back by the correct amount.

The bayonet part fits directly over the M42 thread. I took the flange off a reverse adapter and thinned it out. I filed the m42 screw lightly to provide a key for the epoxy resin then glued the flange over the thread. I ground a small hole on the rear of the lens to line up with the locking pin on the camera body. It woks perfectly.

Then I sold the lens before giving it a proper workout. I just wanted a challenge rather than another 135 lens!

I'm not an engineer nor do I have equipment to machine replacement parts but I look and can work out what's feasible using simple tools and materials.

I expect it would be no problem to convert a Helios to Nikon as you have done as the optics are in a fixed unit like the CZJ 135, so it would just a matter of removing the mount, shortening the barrel and replacing the mount. However I don't intend doing this as I am quite happy with the lensed adapter. See my review and sample photos elsewhere on this forum.

Again thanks for your interest.
Phil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
In case of you need some help I'll ready to do it.
Best reagards,
Zsolti