Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much in
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much in Reply with quote

I have a Carl Zeiss MC 135mm f/3.5 lens which I'm very happy with the performance of. I wish it had a hood but I could fashion something if ever we had enough bright sunshine in Britain for it to become a burning issue.

The kit monster reminds me that I'm always interested in faster lenses and I see Zeiss 135mm lenses for sale in f/2.8, made in the DDR just like my f/3.5 item. And in a portrait lens, the shorter DF has got to be a good thing hasn't it?

What I'd like to know is whether there is much difference in performance between the two, does the 2.8 offer the same colour reproduction, the same clarity and so on or is it even better than the 3.5?

I can see where this is going; I need a steadying hand on my shoulder to tell me either to stick with what I'm happy with and not bother, or to just get on with it. In which case I will not be keeping both.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the CZJ 3.5/135 (which is a good lens) and I know the Zeiss (Contax) 2.8/135 (which is a fantastic lens). I don't know a CZJ 2.8/135.

Anyway, the difference between f/2.8 and f/3.5 is hardly visible IMHO.
Sometimes f/3.5 lenses are better wide open than the faster ones.
But I don't think we can generalize that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I can see where this is going; I need a steadying hand on my shoulder to tell me either to stick with what I'm happy with and not bother, or to just get on with it.

If the list in your signature is complete, then you don't have any Contax (West-Germany/Japan Zeiss) lens. Sure the CZJ's are good, but they don't give you that T* look. It's still a different level of clarity and rendering (especially microcontrast). The Contax Sonnar 135/2.8 happens to be one of the cheapest of their line.

Since you're happy with your CZJ 135/3.5, it may be nicer to get a Contax Distagon 28/2.8. It will beat the pants off your expensive L zoom at f/11. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the 2.8/135 DDR lens you're referring to isn't the C/Y mount Zeiss 2.8/135 Sonnar, but an Orestor 135mm f/2.8 lens that was also made in Praktica Bayonet mount for the B200 series of cameras from the DDR. The CZ Sonnar 2.8/135 is from the Contax/Yashica stable. The CY version is superb, and the 3.5/135 'S' is excellent, but I don't know the Orestor, though I've read many complimentary things about it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I wish it had a hood

It does have an in-built hood, though I don't know whether you regard that as insufficient?

As for the comparison with the Contax version, I'm very interested too. I never run into any side to side comparison between these two. The Contax must be better, but it's hard to imagine it being better by a lot... The CZJ is a great lens.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much Reply with quote

Quote:
If the list in your signature is complete,

It wasn't but it is now... Laughing Laughing

Quote:
then you don't have any Contax (West-Germany/Japan Zeiss) lens. Sure the CZJ's are good, but they don't give you that T* look. It's still a different level of clarity and rendering (especially microcontrast). The Contax Sonnar 135/2.8 happens to be one of the cheapest of their line.

Since you're happy with your CZJ 135/3.5, it may be nicer to get a Contax Distagon 28/2.8. It will beat the pants off your expensive L zoom at f/11. Twisted Evil

STOP IT STOP IT!!! Laughing Laughing Do you realise how many results a "Contax" search of EBay produces??

[/quote]

Last edited by tikkathree on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
I suspect the 2.8/135 DDR lens you're referring to isn't the C/Y mount Zeiss 2.8/135 Sonnar, but an Orestor 135mm f/2.8 lens that was also made in Praktica Bayonet mount for the B200 series of cameras from the DDR. The CZ Sonnar 2.8/135 is from the Contax/Yashica stable. The CY version is superb, and the 3.5/135 'S' is excellent, but I don't know the Orestor, though I've read many complimentary things about it.

+1
If it´s a Praktica 2.8/135, is one Pentacon Electric. The Sonnar 135/3.5 is better. There are many examples and comparisons here.
You could try the C / Y 2.8/135 or "Canon FD" 2.0/135. That can be adapted.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Carl Zeiss 135mm lenses - f/2.8.... f/3.5: is there much Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
tikkathree wrote:
I wish it had a hood

It does have an in-built hood, though I don't know whether you regard that as insufficient?

Mine doesn't. There's what looks like a velvet friction ring on the "in-out" part of the lens and within the knurled focussing tube what might be the remains of something broken off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:

Alex,

Thanks for the expert input, my head's starting to spin. The vendor's description is brief but includes the words "Carl Zeiss, M42, 135mm and f/2.8".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you have a comparison of both lenses.

http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/telephoto-slr-lenses-95/400-carl-zeiss-jena-mc-sonnar-135mm-m42-f35-lens-review.html

http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/telephoto-slr-lenses-95/381-carl-zeiss-sonnar-t-135mm-f28-cy-lens-review.html
Greetings

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/telephoto-slr-lenses-95/400-carl-zeiss-jena-mc-sonnar-135mm-m42-f35-lens-review.html

http://slrlensreview.com/web/carl-zeiss-slr-lenses-51/telephoto-slr-lenses-95/381-carl-zeiss-sonnar-t-135mm-f28-cy-lens-review.html
Greetings

Most helpful - cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

Greetings

Thx for the links. If we were to judge by the MTF charts in those 2 reviews, the CZJ version is sharper, especially in edges. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those slrlens review's are a bit funny... they contain some useful information, but they say such meaningless things in it like the color production was "quite decent", or "pretty accurate". How am I supposed to imagine what that means?

I know people who kept the C/Y Sonnar 135/2.8 and sold their 135L because they like the Zeiss drawing style much more. These differences are not appreciated at all in most reviews. They're afraid to include some actual subjective information but they do judge bokeh and color reproduction with bogus terms... Rolling Eyes

I'm all for side-by-side comparisons of real-world shots where you can see the differences in detail and color rendering with your own eyes, instead of looking at some stupid bar charts and figures. 16-9.net is a great example for all (lens tests section).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

symphonic wrote:
francotirador wrote:

Greetings

Thx for the links. If we were to judge by the MTF charts in those 2 reviews, the CZJ version is sharper, especially in edges. Interesting.

I think the big difference is in the T coating . Besides both lenses, although Sonnar, have different formulas.
The 3.5/135, does not behave very well in high contrast situations. 2.8/135 I think makes it better.

And according to what he says AhamB, reviews are relative (even those of 16-9) but we can draw any useful conclusion if we add one's own research work. Nothing better than seeing many photographs taken by each lens you are interested.

AhamB
As for the "stupid graphics, only show what can be compared in those terms. Number of lines per mm or inch and the size in px of the CA. (Equal lenses have different benefits, sometimes more if they are of age ) It is obvious that everyone knows that this is only part of the information.
Having said that as friendly as possible. Smile
Sorry for my bad English.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WIDE OPEN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 135mm f2.8 lens and I often stop it down to f3.5-5 for portraits anyway for DOF reasons. If you have a lens you are happy with, I would advise not messing with a good thing just to gain 1/2 a stop of aperture that likely will make zero difference in your shots.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers tkbslc and thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cat shot is great. You prove Sonnar is a great lens again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More samples
Sonnar 135/3.5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I know the CZJ 3.5/135 (which is a good lens) and I know the Zeiss (Contax) 2.8/135 (which is a fantastic lens). I don't know a CZJ 2.8/135.

Anyway, the difference between f/2.8 and f/3.5 is hardly visible IMHO.
Sometimes f/3.5 lenses are better wide open than the faster ones.
But I don't think we can generalize that.

Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 2.8/135 @5.6

some canon-lovers say to me that this pictures is horrible... like a painting...
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
they are fucking idiots Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
yaya they have in their hands ciofegon and merdagon...so they can't speak! Very Happy Very Happy

my father likes this mine picture... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

dededa de de dou dou

Last edited by metallaro1980 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 am; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

http://forum.mflenses.com/135mm-sonnar-lenses-tested-t31562,highlight,sonnar+lenses.html

I actually preferred the 135/3.5 for contrast and flare control Shocked In reality, they're both brilliant but the Contax version has a touch more pop.