Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon TV lens 16-160mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Canon TV lens 16-160mm Reply with quote

I have the chance of buying this lens, here is a photo of one I found on the net.

Now the big box, looks like it will come off, it appears to be a motorised zoom. I dont recognise the fitting but I'm sure I can adapt it to the NEX. so my questions:

1 What fitting is it?
2 how can I adjust the aperture. Nothing happens when the ring is turned wwherever I set the AL/A/C switch?
3 Will it cover an APSC sensor?
4 is it worth 40 quid?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, I've had several of these big TV zooms. Not worth 40p let alone 40 quid, sorry.

Image circle is tiny and the resolution is low, back focus is tiny, so unless you want a small circular fuzzy image of close objects....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had one, I've had several of these big TV zooms. Not worth 40p let alone 40 quid, sorry.

Image circle is tiny and the resolution is low, back focus is tiny, so unless you want a small circular fuzzy image of close objects....

Fair do's Ian. I checked the back focus, the back of the lens looked about an inch from my hand when its projected image was in focus. I'm pretty sure I could mount it on the NEX and get infinity.

It looks such a useful range - perfect for video, which is what I'd use it for if it were any good.

But low resolution is a no-no.

Thanks.

Have you still got one like this? I'd still like to have a tinker and perhaps we could trade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a bulk lot of video equipment to re-sell. The lot came with a few Canon TV Zooms, The J15x9.5B B4 9.5-143mm 1.8.

By chance I noticed many people have had pretty good results with that lens on micro 4/3 using either a 2x tele-converter or a digital 2x in their cameras. (youtube)

This intrigued me enough to keep one for my Canon 600D to experiment with it a while. Holding the lens up to the camera with a 3x tele-converter and it looked pretty good!

Then I remembered that the Canon 600D (t3i) has a 3x crop mode that will shoot 1080 at just the right size for a B4 lens (2/3) That means I wouldn't even need a 2x or 3x converter to slow me down.

Interestingly, this 3x crop mode feature was dropped from the t4i and t5i. Apparently only the t3i has it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheapest B4 to EOS adapter I could find was about $90 from China. Since I didn't want to wait for it (or spend the money!) I made a simple clamp using a macro tube and 5 socket cap screws.

It works really well for video with the 3x crop mode on the T3i. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. So its called B4 fitting. Questions

How big is the image circle on APSC sensor of the NEX?.

Can the 'box' be removed?

Whats the quality like??

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is three minutes of test footage with this lens on my 600D
http://youtu.be/QGTpBguR3Yc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

significantimagery wrote:
Here is three minutes of test footage with this lens on my 600D
http://youtu.be/QGTpBguR3Yc

its pretty good. I assume the circular image is uncropped. In which case it would be pretty useless on my NEX5K.

Thanks for this!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
interesting. So its called B4 fitting. Questions

How big is the image circle on APSC sensor of the NEX?.

Can the 'box' be removed?

Whats the quality like??

The box is just screwed on, easy to remove.

Image circle is small, might not even be enough for the Nikon CX sensor.

Resolution is poor, the original use only required 600 vertical lines.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I wouldnt have bought it anyway it looks pretty good in use but the crop is too severe and it is low quality. Probably good with film if I could adapt it to a Bolex

But I wouldnt.