Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Serenar - compatibility?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Canon Serenar - compatibility? Reply with quote

I would appreciate some help. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Canon M39 / L39 lenses that are marked "Serenar" are not quite compatible with L39, and that the Canon M39 lenses that are not marked Serenar are compatible. Something about the threads being a slightly different pitch (is that the right word)?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forum.mflenses.com/please-help-me-understand-the-versions-of-m39-mo-t81977.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Serenar 5cm f2 on my M4/3 cameras and its working with "standard" LTM39 adapters . From what i see, all cheap adapters have some "wiggle" space (focusing past infinity) so this info is not 100%

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
https://forum.mflenses.com/please-help-me-understand-the-versions-of-m39-mo-t81977.html

It's even my own question! Laughing

So, answering myself: Standard Leica M39 = M39 / 26TPI. Canon Serenar = M39 / 24TPI.
If the adapter is really precise then it shouldn't quite fit.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak from my own research, not actual experience, but the latter only mentions this issue with the VERY early lenses, i.e. the late 1940s' 50/3.5 Seiki Kogaku -> Seiki Kogaku Serenar -> Canon Serenar, and states it was done for fear of patent violations.
I remember reading that this fear abated eventually, and now, when looking at the production years, I also realise why: by the late 40s, all German patents had been annected and voided by the US invaders. Canon's fear of patent violation in question would have been being sued by Leica. That was no longer a concern, and they adopted M39.
But I will stress that from actual experience, I can only speak to post-Serenar lenses.
You might find this of help? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XHrXeijkKB_ULZxcgJK_v4iPBbxAfOuuo-VuP5ESDvA/edit?gid=0#gid=0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own three Serenar lenses: 50mm f/1.9, 85mm f/2.0. and 35mm f/3.5.
All have standard LTM mounts and function normally on My Leica IIIA, my Canon 7, and my Leningrad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:

Source: https://mikeeckman.com/2022/02/canon-original-hansa-1935/

Quote:

Another interesting thing about Nippon Kogaku’s new mount is that beneath it, the body of the Canon retained a 39mm screw mount, which was given the name the J-mount. Although sharing the same diameter as the Leica Thread Mount, it had a different pitch to the threads making Leica lenses incompatible.

[...]

Canon would continue to release new models after the war with the J-mount, but starting in 1947 with the release of the Canon SII, offered the 39mm “semi-universal” thread mount which accepted most, but not all, Leica Thread Mount lenses. The reason for the switch back to the LTM mount was that Leitz’s German patent for the mount was no longer valid after the war, and any camera company who wanted to use it could.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon didn't start making cameras with Leica-style rangefinder coupling to the lens until 1946, when all German patents were invalidated worldwide as a war reparation. The earlier rangefinder cameras used a very strange mount with the helical part of the camera.

They did make some non-rangefinder J-mount lenses during the war.

I think they were just bamboozled by Leica's deliberate obfuscation of the LTM mount. It's 39mm thread diameter, but with 26 turns per inch. Mixed units. The J-mount is 1mm thread pitch, which is 25.4 threads per inch.

The threads-per-inch of the mount isn't something Leica could patent. But the cam on the lens pushing a roller on the camera was patented. That's why the Zeiss Contax cameras used rotation of the in-built helical as the rangefinder coupling, a much more obtuse design. (The patents remained in force in Germany after the war.) The very complicated Contax shutter was also a dodge of Leica's patents.

For a few years after Canon switched to the correct 26 threads/inch, they cut the threads on the camera mounts loose enough to accept lenses with either thread pitch.