Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon S 50mm LTM (Leica) which one to get ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Canon S 50mm LTM (Leica) which one to get ? Reply with quote

Dear members,

I want to buy an old Canon S 50mm mm with Leica Thread Mount.
I have the option to buy following
50/1.8 version Type I, all metal brass 200$
50/1.8 Type II, aka the Black One. 210$
50/1.4 Black 290$

All in equal condition. I have read alot good things about the 1.4, but others say that the 1.8 is sharper.

Which one is is the one to get ?
Important for me is quality of bokeh, sharpness,....

Regards,Gert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 1.4, you will love it. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't lose with any of these lenses. All three are optically and mechanically excellent. Good looking too. The 1.8 might be slightly sharper but I never noticed a difference while the 1.4 bokeh was fractionally better than the 1.8. My choices would be:

1. 1.4/50 for the added speed.

2. 1.8/50 II fantastic, small, light, do anything lens.

3. 1.8/50 I optically identical to 1.8/50 II but heavier due to solid chromed brass housing.

If you are interested in a Sonnar design the 1.5 is an excellent choice also.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the type I, a 1.8 Serenar, and it is an amazingly sharp lens. But you know if I had a choice, I'd be leaning more toward the 1.4. I've seen a lot of fantastic photos taken with that lens and I would want to exploit its smoother bokeh. But whichever way you choose to go, you won't regret it. They're all great lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of those listed, the 50/1.4 would be my choice, and just to add more options to confuse you, the 50/1.2 is also well worth looking at, and can be had for $400.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx guys. I just ordered the 1.4 Smile , will post a review in a few weeks with some pics. thx!