Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Reflex Lens CL 250mm 1:4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Canon Reflex Lens CL 250mm 1:4 Reply with quote

I've just got a new toy and I've been playing with it on my Sony NEX5. I haven't made a proper adapter yet but it shouldn't be too hard. I can reach infinity with the lens fitted inside the rear ring of a cheap chinese extension ring set.

The lens is intended for Canon Hi8 video cameras and has a CL (or is it VL) bayonet mount. Other lenses with this mount have an electronic aperture which is closed when not attached to a camera but as this is a mirror lens it has no aperture as such and easy manual focussing (unlike the Minolta 400mm f/8 Vectis which I haven't been able to adapt yet because of the annoying focus-by-wire). The Canon has built-in ND filters for f/8, f/16 and f/32. I am pleasantly surprised by its high contrast - these images are straight out of the camera:

When I've constructed a more permanent adapter I'll make a proper comparison with the Minolta RF Rokkor 250mm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed!

Never seen this lens, just the other VL lenses.

I never suspected the coverage would be suitable for a digital stills camera due to the small size of the video sensor they were used with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting indeed!

Never seen this lens, just the other VL lenses.

I never suspected the coverage would be suitable for a digital stills camera due to the small size of the video sensor they were used with.

Telephoto lenses often have larger image circles. The wide angle zoom lenses probably just fit the small video sensor. I handled one the other day, but the electronic aperture is closed when not attached to a camera so I couldn't test its image circle. The 250mm even seems to cover full frame: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55399114@N00/7328343914/in/set-72157629703685418

I haven't tested it yet myself, but I guess infinity won't be possible on a Canon 5D mkII.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With modification I expect you will be able to get infinity on a EOS, this one has been changed to Arri PL mount which is much longer register than EOS:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excellent-Condition-Canon-reflex-CL-250mm-f-4-PL-mount-Lens-For-Arri-Red-/261035371866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc6ebad5a#ht_500wt_1413

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really quite horrid bokeh IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mirror lens bokeh, inherent to the design. As is the case for all bokeh, beauty/horridness is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a smooth bokeh for most occasions, but doughnuts can be fun to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doughnuts are for eating. Laughing