Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Kiss X4 (aka 550D) + Olympus 50mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Canon Kiss X4 (aka 550D) + Olympus 50mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

Hi

I recently started using my Canon Kiss X4 (aka 550D) with an Olympus Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 lens. Some one gave it to me o I thought why not and I really like it. I'm getting used to the manual focus only (which I don't mind) and it's a great lens. One thing is strange.

I use it almost only wide open since that's its purpose, get high shutter speed in low light. I checked the aperture and it seems there is something strange, as if 1.4 doesn't exist. I put it on M mode and take a shot at f/1.4. Then a shot at f/2, f/2.8, f/4, etc. just to see the difference it makes. I'm not sure there is a difference between f/1.4 and f/2. I see a significant difference between f/2 and f/2.8. I tested this by just taking some snap shots, trying to hold the camera the same, but maybe I moved too much. I'll test again with the camera on a stand.

My impression is the camera doesn't can't "handle" the f/1.4 and whether it is f/2 or any larger maybe it would be the same. I don't know. I can see the aperture physically move from f/1.4 to f/2 when I change it. If that's the case, I also have no idea if putting it on f/2 will benefit sharpness at all.

Anyone with experience with that camera and lens?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you don't see the difference, do you mean in the viewfinder or your camera's shutterspeed/exposure is constant?

You should see a boost in exposure assuming iso and shutterspeed is constant.

You may not see a boost in brightness in the viewfinder, due to the nature of the focusing screen in place - Modern (stock) screens don't look brighter with lenses faster than 2-2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exact same combination and always use Manual, I've not noticed trouble at f1.4.