Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FL-F vs. Apo-telyt suggestion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Canon FL-F vs. Apo-telyt suggestion Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have been on this forum for a quite long time but this is my first thread.
I'm a micro 43 user (GH2 and OM-D) and I'm quite interested in using MF lenses.
I currently have the Apo-lanthar 125mm and I'm very happy with it. Last year I bought a Mamiya Apo-Sekor 200mm 2.8 and also this is a very nice lens, very good colors and great sharpness. However, for my personal usage it is a little bit too heavy (very front-heavy) and I would like to have some more reach (I have the Mamiya 2X extender, but the compo is very long, almost 30cm), so I'm looking for a 200mm+ light-weight telephoto MF lens.
Light-weight lenses are usually not very fast, but I'm OK with slow lenses if they can provide very good IQ wide-open.

I'm currently evaluating these 2 options:
- Canon FL-F 300mm 5.6, good sharpness and CA, but I found very few info (apart the post by Abbazz of 2009)
- Leica Apo-telyt 180mm 3.4 + APO 2X-Extender

It's hard to find 100% crops for a good evalutaion of the sharpness, so I would like to ask your suggestions about these 2 options. For the Canon option, I'm a little bit scared by the fact that the lens is very old and I'm not sure about his rendition, in particular the flare control (poor coatings). Apo-telyt has a strong reputetion at long distances, with the extender it becomes f/7, so it might have very good IQ already wide-open (no need to stop-down for optimal performances).

Thank you for any advice you can give.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can stand the lack of aperture and donut bokeh, the Minolta RF Rokkor 250mm F5.6 is your choice.

P.S. It costless than $100 ten years ago in my city but it cost $1000+ now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small, light, superb - Topcon Re Auto Topcor 5.6/200.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you can stand the lack of aperture and donut bokeh, the Minolta RF Rokkor 250mm F5.6 is your choice.

P.S. It costless than $100 ten years ago in my city but it cost $1000+ now.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did not know such a jewel. Bokeh from cat is not very actractive for me, but this lens is so small that I would consider it for my micro 43 travel kit.

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Small, light, superb - Topcon Re Auto Topcor 5.6/200.

It is a quite old lens too, but your pictures demonstrate it is a really good option.
Thanks